Spark Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Problem

Hi anyone got any suggestions for a little problem i have.
    Went to start the bike for the first time since i put it back
    together.
    Now if you have all 4 spark plugs in she wont start so i pull one to check spark, ground it on cylinder and she starts right up, put the plug back in wont start, pull the opposite plug starts right up , plug in no start.
    Doesnt seem to make any difference which plug you pull out, with 3 it starts but with 4 it wont.

thanks
    1979 xs1100 (un named)
    Kerker 4-1 Exhaust wrapped
    Drilled Rotors
    K&N Air Filter
    XS850 Kickstart
    Manual Petcocks

1972/75 XS650 Brit Style
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjeCVHqTEY

2007 Kawasaki Z1000 stock

Check that you have the plugs wired to the correct piston! IIRC, the left side coil fires piston 2&3, and the right side coil fires 1&4. The second thing to check is the resistance of the spark plug caps. They should be 5K Ohms if they are stock. If ONE cap is 6K Ohms or higher, the coil will only fire one plug in open air. Third check, unscrew the plug cap, and cut 1/4" off the end of the coil wire, reinstall the cap. If you have some oxidation of the copper wire, it will also cause a missfire.
    You DO have new plugs in, correct?
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Could it be that you have the coil wires on backward, you know, the gray and the orange ones? Could be grounding out the whole ignition system? Don't know.....JAT.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Yep brand new plugs ,new ingnition wires , new 5K NGK spark plug caps too,tested resistances everything looks good
        1979 xs1100 (un named)
        Drilled Rotors
        K&N Air Filter
        XS850 Kickstart
        Manual Petcocks

1972/75 XS650 Brit Style

Comment

Still sounds like a weak spark situation, it'll fire in air but not under compression. You've got a 79, so it has the ballast resistor if it has OEM coils. You stated new wires...so thinking you did the new wires in old coils repair. Did you test the primary and secondary resistances on the OEM coils while the wires were disconnected, or at least before you put the new plug caps on??

Also, how much voltage are you reading at the ballast resistor....harness side before it goes into the resistor, as well as after the resistor. SHould be 12 going in, and about 9 going out. IF the voltage going in is much less, then that can also be causing a poor spark. A quick test would be to bypass the BR and see if it will start on all 4 plugs. IF SO...then it's a weak spark for some reason. IF it won't start...then I don't know??

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC ,yep i did remove the original wires and replaced with solid core
            accels , in the excitement of my 4 year old going to see the fireworks last night i forgot to switch off the ignition so as soon as i charge her up again
            ill take a look at what you suggest.
            1979 xs1100 (un named)
            Drilled Rotors
            K&N Air Filter
            XS850 Kickstart
            Manual Petcocks

1972/75 XS650 Brit Style

Comment

might also be worth while checking your
              ballast resistor located under the tank, you can
              bypass it for a short time by connecting the two
              wires together.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
              X