Valve clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve clearance

I checked valve clearance and on the intake side, the required clearance is 6k to 8k, I have 5k on two cylinders and 6k on the other two. Is this acceptable? (1979 xs 1100 special)

Let me try to understand this....you measured your clearances and found that some are OUT OF SPEC.

And you're asking if it's OK?

HUH?

Comment

Did you check your exhaust as well? If you're lucky, you might be able to just switch some of your shims around.
      '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

You name implies that you have a 79 XS1100E (which is not possible in the first place) and the at the end you say you have a 79 special. which is it??? Check you VIN here http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html and let us know!

Not that that had anything really to do with your valve clearance but its a nice thing to know! Welcome to the board!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Gday, wwelcome to xs. Im new here myself but not new to bikes, or forums. Everyone here at XS seems to be extremely nice and genuinely helpful, rather than just saying 'use the search' or 'RTFM'
          Something very rare on any forums.
          if someone would kindly post a link, or if you do a search for it, one of the most valuable accessories you can have for your bike is a workshop manual. The specs for valve clearances are what it has to be, it will run with them out of spec but you will be doing damage. get them in spec and you should have a lot of fun riding ahead of you.

sorry would link it myself but typing this from my phone, cant think of anything else til my bike is fixed, even then, never stop learning

cheers
          1980 XS1100G 'Phoenix' - top to tail rebuild in progress

Open to suggestions, send a PM!

Comment

hey there,
            im assuming your talking about 5 thou and 6 tho
            for your measurments,

for the intakes its 4 thou - 6 thou clearance
            and 8 thou - 10 thou for the exhaust.
            on the later engines.

5 - 6 thou should be fine or if it was mine, id like them
            to be all the same at 5thou.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

If you have a 79, then the intake clearance is a little bigger than on the 80-81 models. Sounds like you know the clearance specs and jsut wanted to nto mess with changing shims and were looking for buy-in form folks in the know to not do the work.

Well, I would agree that unless the difference is so small they do not make a shim for it, I would change it out. On these engines, the valve clearance closes up with use instead of opening like alot of other engines. So use will not make this better, only worse.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
              X