Bike dies on stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High idel

Interesting. I'll check the tensioner to make sure it's spring is still good, but trying to understand why that would may a difference for maybe 20 seconds or so before RPMs would drop on its own....
    Past Rides:
    1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
    1979 XS650 Special
    1978 Honda CB750K
    Current: 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

I would guess that maybe a bit loose timing chain while running higher RPM's changes cam timing somewhat and as the centrifical forces slow down, along with the cam lobes and shims meeting, "load" the chain in the other direction pulling cams back in time................heck, sounds good to me.....Actually, I can remember when having this scoot new, that when it started to have a bit of a "hang" idle like that, it was time to do the cam-chain adjustment procedure..........ended hang idle each time, worked for me then..................now, autoCCT takes care that cams are consistantly in time. Your issue just suddenly happening...........would lean toward pri./sec. ignition before anything fuel/carb related
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Synch, Synch, Synch...

I've experienced this multiple times, both on the over-reving(sp?) and the cutting off at idle. The only process that helped was float valve adjustment, synching, idle jet adjustment, and synching again.
        You must make sure you're getting enough fuel to keep the bike running at all times (float adjustment), and then make sure you're getting the right fuel/air mixture at idle, and of course your carbs must be in synch.
        This takes for granted that your carbs are absolutely clean and passing air/fuel through all circuits.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
          I've experienced this multiple times, both on the over-reving(sp?) and the cutting off at idle. The only process that helped was float valve adjustment, synching, idle jet adjustment, and synching again.
          You must make sure you're getting enough fuel to keep the bike running at all times (float adjustment), and then make sure you're getting the right fuel/air mixture at idle, and of course your carbs must be in synch.
          This takes for granted that your carbs are absolutely clean and passing air/fuel through all circuits.
          Now that I've read this post, it occurred to me that I no longer seem to have the symptom described in the thread starter since I made (and used) my sync tool.
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Carbs are definitely cleaned and all port/jets open (even the "choke" jet hiding in the float bowl). Took a lot of time on the float bowls so they appear to be good. Where do you get an automatic chain tensioner?
            Past Rides:
            1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
            1979 XS650 Special
            1978 Honda CB750K

Comment

Yamaha venture and vmax tensioner are a direct swap. Yamaha vision 550 works great too but you have to file the lower bolt hole about a half mm to narrow the the hole spread.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Just going for the simple solution here, cause it got me guessing for a bit once myself, have you adjusted the idle since you rebuilt the carbs?
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Had to readjust the idle needle (out about 1.5 turns) and then minor adjustment to the idle setting wheel on the throttle linkage. Unfortunately I had a rebuild kit that had the wrong pilot jets (6 vs 8 holes I needed) and the pilot needles also had a different shape so my original idle screw settings got all hosed up while I tried to dial things in with that bad combo. Put the old jets/needles back in as they looked good anyway. Now running better, but very rich too. I've dropped almost 30% in my gas mileage so something is still not quite right....I'll try the cam tensioner adjustment first and then go back to look at my float heights.
                  I still have the OEM airbox and filter set up, so taking the carbs off means the seat, tank and partial box disassembly to get the carb boots off. Getting faster at it but it's a real PITA. Considering the Pods...
                  Last edited by scott0757; 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM.
                  Past Rides:
                  1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                  1979 XS650 Special
                  1978 Honda CB750K

Comment

Considering the Pods...
                    You bout got, so don't punish yourself going to pods at this point. Tank/seat have to come off anyways for a CORRECT sync after removing carbs......airbox or pods. Dropping lower part of air box off, boot clamps loose, pull air box off boots, push down and back on air box, un-clap carb bank, rock loose from boots and pull out the left side of scoot. After a few times, a person can do this in about ten minutes.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Maybe I misunderstood your post but 6 holes in the pilot jets is correct, 8 is wrong.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                      X