Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike dies on stopping

Hi, folks.

I think I've posted this question before, but I can't find it now. The bike dies when I stop. Doesn't matter if I'm in gear or not. A gentle stop will cause the rpm to drop a little, a more aggressive stop will drop the rpm to around 500 for a few seconds, and a really aggressive stop will cause the bike to die completely. I've tried different scenarios to make sure that it's not something else that's happening as I stop (not the brake, clutch, shifter, etc). It's the actual jarring motion of stopping the bike that causes it to die.

I've replace the ignition coils and spark plug wires, and it still does this. Any ideas as to what else could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
    Brian
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Just don't stop!

kidding.

I'd say your grounds are loose. Jarring the engine wiggles the ground lead. Or, maybe your positive battery lead?

SOMETHING is loose.

Or is your idle so low that the sloshing of the fuel in the bowls is enough to kill it?

Comment

My thoughts exactly either something is loose or the idle is set to low.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'll check those tonight. I have cleaned and tightened the grounds on the frame, but I don't recall if I cleaned up the grounds on the engine. The idle's set around 1000 RPM. I had it higher at one point, but it didn't help the problem.

Comment

JAT, but could the float levels be set too low, so the sloshing of fuel starves the carbs for a second? My push lawnmower has the same problem. If I stop hard and reverse quickly, the engine wants to die sometimes. I've never dug into it to try to fix it though.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Don't think it's the float height; I set that fairly meticulously this spring.

Comment

Your not alone!!!!

mind does the same thing, I've tried what you've tried, I've tried turning the idle mix screws both ways, I've tried bumping the idle up at around 2k idle the bike doesn't stall anymore, but the revs still drop.

Mine seems to be the worst after a long steady cruise, say down the free way then breaking hard on the off ramp.

I just recently switch the carbs out, I'm running the carbs off my 81 on the 79...the 81 has not shown this issue, although I've been unable to break really hard because of fork oil soaked pads. The 79 still shows issues even with the 81 carbs so I think that should rule out carbs?

I'd like to find a solution as well....
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Idle dropping low (or dying) when fully warmed up from higher RPM's is generally a sign of being slightly rich, just as hanging high in the same situation is very often a sign of being a bit lean. Of course depending on the ambient temps, coming to a stop from high speeds can be higher temp than normal. That's one of the reasons I am trying to budget for a colortune, not because I'm having any problems (well, slight rise when really hot but not more than a couple hundred RPM), but because I do want to be able to make sure I've got them all the same, and it IS harder to do by ear, even though my plugs look pretty good.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I just got my Colortune plug yesterday, and spent some time last night playing with it. MAN, does it make a difference! Everything is so much crisper, and it just feels smooooooth!
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

carbs

rebuilt my carbs and it stalls when coming to fast stop if i dont hold on gas a little. my gas mileage has droped 5 miles per gallon so i think mine is rich. sloshing fuel over in to the mouth of carbs. havent torn into carb. but floats set at 26mm. i think can live with it for now.
                    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Could be carbs, could be electrical?

Okay, let's take a look at the situation.

On the electrical side....there is an additional grounding strap on the back end of the engine at the starter motor to frame, can corrode at both contact points. Next, how strong is battery and charging system? Coming to a stop, throttle closed, engine at idle, and BRAKE LIGHTS now on draining power/voltage....could be dropping below the 10.5 V threshold killing the TCI and engine!?!?

Carbs....as state by CY, too rich, coming to stop throttle closed...very little air getting thru throat, and inertia sloshing float bowl contents forwards and upwards allowing even more fuel to get into the pilot circuit..=flooding!

A few things to check out.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                        Idle dropping low (or dying) when fully warmed up from higher RPM's is generally a sign of being slightly rich, just as hanging high in the same situation is very often a sign of being a bit lean. Of course depending on the ambient temps, coming to a stop from high speeds can be higher temp than normal. That's one of the reasons I am trying to budget for a colortune, not because I'm having any problems (well, slight rise when really hot but not more than a couple hundred RPM), but because I do want to be able to make sure I've got them all the same, and it IS harder to do by ear, even though my plugs look pretty good.
                        Oh now I'm really lost I've got both of the above mentioned problems. Throttle hangs high then when it comes down it idols like crap and sometimes shuts down. maybe 2 carbs are rich and 2 are lean... hmmm that might acutally make sence....
                        Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by freak_leg View Post
                          Oh now I'm really lost I've got both of the above mentioned problems. Throttle hangs high then when it comes down it idols like crap and sometimes shuts down. maybe 2 carbs are rich and 2 are lean... hmmm that might acutally make sence....
                          Maybe lean plus trying to idle to low? The proper idle speed is 1100 RPM, if everything is perfect they will do lower, but then your really getting nothing out of the charging system.

That's the other thing, a bad battery could cause the poor low idle and shutting down. Make sure your staying at least around 12v minimum at idle, and make sure the battery is fully charged and get it load tested.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Idle drops on fast stops but can stay at high idle too.

I am experiencing this issue too after just having rebuilt my carbs (and as noted in another post...be careful of rebuild kits as pilot screws and idle jets are not always the same between models).
                            That said I have had the issue with a idle drop off and stall when coming to a hard stop so maybe it is float level but I don't think so as I just adjusted them (1980 XS1100SG requires .906" +/-.020. Currently has 120 jets on 2 & 3 and 110's in 1 & 4) and there are no tell tale sign of flooding/leaking.

I have also had a long standing issue with a high idle. It may slowly drop off on its own, but often I have to feather out the clutch to force the RPMs down and then it idles normally. That too me sounds like some vacuum issue, but I am open to any ideas anyone has on this.
                            Past Rides:
                            1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                            1979 XS650 Special
                            1978 Honda CB750K
                            Current: 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Believe it or not, the stock cam chain tensioner notoriusly NOT holding tension WILL cause this scenario till rpm's are "forced" down. JAT........and yes, have seen this many a time over the years cause this snenario...........auto CCT will eliminate this as a factor.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X