• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 SF ignition timing

What are the numbers I need to hit. Is it still :
    5 degrees @1100,vac on
    31 degrees@5200 vac off
    52 degrees @ 5200 vac on
    I know there was some tech bulletins, my vac advance mech, etc are all original.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

On my F model (U.S.) it's 10 degrees BTDC at 1100 rpms, and my Haynes manual shows the same for the SF (U.S.). Shows it at 5 degrees BTDC for the U.K. F model, but doesn't say anything about an SF U.K. model. Line up the pointer with the 'F' mark on your timing wheel at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. With the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged at the carb it should be 31 degrees BTDC at 5400 rpms. 36 degrees BTDC on the F U.K. model at 5400 rpms.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-23-2010, 10:23 AM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
      On my F model (U.S.) it's 10 degrees BTDC at 1100 rpms, and my Haynes manual shows the same for the SF (U.S.). Shows it at 5 degrees BTDC for the U.K. F model, but doesn't say anything about an SF U.K. model. Line up the pointer with the 'F' mark on your timing wheel at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. With the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged at the carb it should be 31 degrees BTDC at 5400 rpms. 36 degrees BTDC on the F U.K. model at 5400 rpms.
      Man, if your riding the F U. K. model I'd say thats some sort of bad luck.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Psyco - I didn't even catch that when I typed it. Now I'm laughing too . Oh well, some say I only open my mouth to change feet .

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Timing for an SF is 5 deg and 31 deg exactly as you have stated. The F-mark on the SF timing wheel is at 5 deg while the F-mark on the F model is at 10 degrees. The 31 degrees will probably come in alot sooner than 5,200 RPM due to ageing of the advance springs.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Here's the info from the Haynes manual -

Comment

Working...
            X