Top end query;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll throw my .02 into this....

As a Harley owner also, I'm familar with their mufflers. As Doug said, jetting is affected by the amount of air getting into the motor; more air, bigger jets. Now, generally speaking, when changing only the mufflers on a Harley (or drilling the baffles for more 'sound'), no jetting changes are needed. You still have the restriction of the stock airbox, so the amount of air getting in will be unchanged. So jetting changes are unneeded with only a muffler change, and any 'fine tuning' can generally be done by moving the c-clip on the needle (usually down one notch).

Stock Harley mufflers, even drilled ones, are pretty restrictive; a freer-flowing muffler and AC change will gain you roughly 20% more power on a dead-stock Harley (no, that's not a typo) but as was pointed out, the pulses are much larger compared to a XS11. I'd try stock jetting as a 'baseline', then go from there...

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

• 750f/d

I had a 1979 XS750 Special in 1979, gas was better IMHO but stock out of the box (with the 750R/D of course) she would do 126 mph no a cool day (below 80 deg. at least). So I dont think the 750R/D is not holding you up. It would get to 100 fast, then it took time, guts and road to get the next 26 mph. I did weigh 80lbs less in 79, now I have more gut and less gut's (LOL)
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

• hmm..?

Very good advice, I will try to follow.
        i will go back to stock jetting and work up from there.

i may have a gremlin some where yet...

it dawned on me that when i started this process, i had bright yellow flame at 6000 rpm and higher with the factory main jet and factory pilots.
        137.5 mains and 42.5 pilots.

that should be rich.???

soo....

i think i need to do a bit more digging to find the culprit of this issue, before i continue with the rejetting. not sure if its and electrical or mechanical gremlin.

i've got alot to learn.. and i apreciate all the help!!!

at the moment i've got the 145 mains and 45 pilots loaded.
        it seems driveable, i made the mistake of lowering the back presure valves to
        30 degree's and wow.. does that mellow (weaken) the acceleration from 2k to 5k. i'll set it back to 45-50 where it makes the engine snap better.
        so it seems that extra back presure is needed on the HD exhaust pipes.

hmm... i'll talk to the gents that wheel up to the xssesivly lost north rally and
        have them look it over and see if they can find any glaring errors i've made.

i may have missed something simple and it's rate in front of my nose.

i'm still limited to 100mph, it refuses to go past that mark in any gear at any rpm. i tryed many combinations.

it simply runs out of power.

we'll see what they can come up with.

Thanks dbeardslee and everyone!!
        I'll let you know in a few weeks what we find.
        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

• Observation

I just read this thread from the beginning and it seems quite interesting that the original author has been banned and unable to contribute yet the thread still continues.

Anyone know what happend with xsokiespecial's bike?

Comment

• the main reason it continues is that i believe we both have the same problem.

what the problem is... i have no idea......

is has eluded both of us as far as i know.

i only know what you're read here, last i heard he worked out problems in the bottem end.

i don't know if that fixed his issues......

but i don't have any noise in the cases, so it's doubtfull that would have been the problem.

I've been wrong before..........
            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

• ive just got hold of a cpl colour-tune plugs,
              havent used them yet but found this site
              on using it, hope it helps you out...

http://www.carbtune.com/

the instructions are under the colour tune plug pic.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

• I am starting to think about a new theory..

i'm wondering if valve stem seals might cause these issues..?

in my garage (incandesent lighting) i can see i'm burning oil, but i'm not seeing any build up on my spark plugs.

this leads me to wonder if the exhaust valves seals are leaking.

how that would rob horse power I'm not sure.....

as i said... it's only a theory.

next weekend i'll talk it over with the members that can make the Xssively Lost Fall 2010 (Minnesota) Rally
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28859

Later guys!!

Webs

Comment

• Originally posted by MindWebs View Post
                  I am starting to think about a new theory..

i'm wondering if valve stem seals might cause these issues..?

in my garage (incandesent lighting) i can see i'm burning oil, but i'm not seeing any build up on my spark plugs.

this leads me to wonder if the exhaust valves seals are leaking.

how that would rob horse power I'm not sure.....

as i said... it's only a theory.
                  Bad valve stem seals rarely affect performance that much. If you have bad seals and guides, then you may start seeing some problems. With bad seals, the only time you'll see any major oil smoke is at starting when the bike has been sitting a while(when oil has had time to leak past the seals) and decceleration (closed throttle, so the motor develops a large vacuum in the cylinders and sucks oil past the seals). The rest of the time, oil leakage past the seals will be minimal and you'll see very little if any oil smoke.

Replacing just the seals can help with smoking, but if the guides are bad they won't last all that long.

'78E original owner
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

• I talked to XSokieSPECIAL and found out the results.

he claims that it was bad rings that caused his lack of high speed.
                    His cure was to swap in a different engine.

Hmm...

not a bad plan if a person can come up with a cheap engine, he was lucky and got a few from the bob jones estate.

so..

i'll finish tinkering with my jetting and run'er till she blows.
                    i sideways joke i must admit... these engines do tend to burn a little oil.

also i've heard a few other accounts of 79's lacking top speed.
                    i believe that there may have been a bad batch of piston rings used in the 79 engines.

thank you, EVERYONE!!!
                    i think this has now finished this thread.

Good luck to one and all.

Comment

• Yes Steve

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      Bad valve stem seals rarely affect performance that much. If you have bad seals and guides, then you may start seeing some problems. With bad seals, the only time you'll see any major oil smoke is at starting when the bike has been sitting a while(when oil has had time to leak past the seals) and decceleration (closed throttle, so the motor develops a large vacuum in the cylinders and sucks oil past the seals). The rest of the time, oil leakage past the seals will be minimal and you'll see very little if any oil smoke.

Replacing just the seals can help with smoking, but if the guides are bad they won't last all that long.

'78E original owner
                      Valve stem seals only cause oil burnning (that you can see) when at start up. That is when oil that has leaked past the "intake" seals burns off. The exaust seals, due to pressure instead of vacum, just push the oil back into the motor, IE, some EGR working to do away with it.
                      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

• also i've heard a few other accounts of 79's lacking top speed.
                        i believe that there may have been a bad batch of piston rings used in the 79 engines.
                        I've got a '79. I've had her up to 135 and she still had plenty left. If you suspect your rings you might try the wet/dry compression test. Warm the motor up to full operating temperature, and take a compression reading. Then put a small amount of oil in each cylinder (one at a time) and rerun the compression test. The numbers should remain pretty much the same in relation to each other. If you have one where the reading changes significantly in relation to the other cylinders, it's an indication of worn or broken rings. Unless you've got a motor with very high mileage, I would expect the rings to be OK.

As far as leaky valve seals, I agree with the others that it isn't likely to be the culpret as far as performance is concerned. That being said, it can be an indication that your head could use reworked. XS valves are pretty notorious for getting a lot of carbon build up on the valve stems, and if it creeps up the stems far enough it can cause your valves to stick. They also get a lot of crud in the ports. Whithin six months of acquiring mine, I pulled the head, cleaned the ports and the valves, lapped the valves, replaced the stem seals, and reshimmed. What I noticed was how much smoother it made the motor run - of course that was after the carbs were setup correctly .
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

• Originally posted by MindWebs View Post
                          he claims that it was bad rings that caused his lack of high speed.

RINGS?

Comment

• that's what he said....

but i guess he was a bit hammered at the time...
                            so maybe that wasn't it...

i was just relaying what i heard...

if you know something diferent please let me know.
                            i still have the same problem.

but my ambition to tear down the motor just to find out a minor issue that is keeping me from getting my divers licence revoked and me going to jail..
                            well...
                            i'm just not real antsy or pepped up to do an engine overhaul.

not to mention lack of funding for parts and repairs that are needed.

am i curious as to what the issue is, yes i am.
                            but i have no "need" to go past 110mph.

Later,
                            Webs

Comment

• changed motor

I rode with Okie in the ralley last month. We had an 80 mile stretch that was held at over 100 mph (the whole group of 9). I would say that fixed his but I don't know yours has the same problem.
                              Last edited by jmnjrpa; 08-19-2010, 08:11 PM.
                              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                              Original except:
                              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
                              X