No announcement yet.

Top end query;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh heh......... OK.......we've ascertained it's a chicken holding on to the BUCKHORN bars that seems to be low in the horsepower department.

So.......whatdya think? The thing runs like a champ until then.

Timing...valve adjustment....carbs?

I don't think it's a fuel problem, however, I thought I did hear a slight popping or pre ignition sound when it topped out.

Kinda like an under jetted engine. I am running 79 carbs with the main rods raised 1 notch though.

Hard to tell at that speed though.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
      Heh heh......... OK.......we've ascertained it's a chicken holding on to the BUCKHORN bars that seems to be low in the horsepower department.
      eieio.......

I'll bet if you left the buck and the horse at home you'd have no problem going faster, I mean that is a lot of weight, just ditch the barnyard animals and try again.....
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
        eieio.......

I'll bet if you left the buck and the horse at home you'd have no problem going faster, I mean that is a lot of weight, just ditch the barnyard animals and try again.....
        ROTFLOL.........Damned farm animals from facebook have invaded this site now.

Anyone seen my little lost hog?

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          ...It was a common problem (or is) on the mid 90's to 2002 Camaros that top speed could NOT be achieved in high gear. Because of a combination of things, you needed to be down 1 gear to reach the top speed the car could attain...
          There's a prime example; too high a gear, and the motor is out of it's power curve and just doesn't have enough horsepower to overcome the mechanical disadvantage. So when you gear for reduced highway rpm/fuel economy, that won't increase your top speed and can actually reduce it. In this case, I think he's down on power and the FD change is just making it a bit more obvious.

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Greg,
            Since doing my FD swap... I have -O- problems easily achieving 90 mph in 4th... and that's w/ my Vetter 4!

There's definitely something going on w/ yours.

So... you're saying you can twist her back wide open, on a long straightaway, and
            98's all she's got? That ain't right at all.

With mine, now that I've swapped the FD, I've only had one brief opportunity to run it on up... and I hit 125 before I knew it... and it felt like I had loads to spare... more than before the swap for sure. I'm guessin' if I have the guts... I oughta see 135 or so... but probably won't do it... I've heard some say a Vetter 4 can become a parachute after the 120 mark...

Of course, the other thing that would limit the top IS HP...and I'm bettin' it'll start gasping for air somewhere around 130. 83 hp isn't 'all that' with the taller gearing. But I'm amazed how easily it'll get there now.

Something's gotta be holding yours back.

But you should be feeling it... if it were advance... or carbs... or a mechanical issue... even if it were an exhaust issue... I'd think you'd feel it being held back... but you say it seems to run great? Weird.
            Maybe this weekend we can get together and go run them out... see the difference, if ya want. Let me know.

Steve's probably right... you're down on power, & the FD's making it show more. Question is... what's causing the power loss.
            Bob
            Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Hey Greg,

The XS max's it's cent. adv. at just under 5K rpm at 26 degrees, plus add the 10 degrees static, and that's 36 total for POWER curve. The vacuum adv. adds timing adv. under LOW THROTTLE cruising situations, but under strong throttle..it would actually be very little added. So you can check your Cent. Adv. with a timing light revving it to 5K rpm, with vac. capped off.

You haven't stated what your MAIN jets are? Running out of steam at top end sounds like your mains may be too small? Remember, you need to jet the 79 carbs according to the carbs, not the year of engine, and then adjustments with mods, adding sizes for freer flowing intake and exhausts.

Another thing could be restricted fuel flowing from the tank, so that after an extended high rpm run, the bowls could be emptying faster than they can be filled, resulting in lower fuel levels, and leaner running!?

Ivan and gang should have it figured out and tuned up in no time.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yea TC, I'm gonna check the total advance when I screw up the anbitiion to pull the ignition cover AGAIN. I thought it was pickup coil wires to begin with.

Because of the preignition sound I think I heard I'm kinda thinkin' its runnin' out of gas.

I'm still running the octy and I may not be getting the fuel flow I need.

Not lookin' forward to takin' all that crap off just to check.

Maybe 98 is fast enough..................

Comment

A quick check will be to just put the petcocks on PRIME, bypassing the OCTY completely, and then take a run up and see what happens. IF it runs better, then you may have found the flow problem. IS the vacuum line to the octy in good condition...no cracks or such??
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Never thought of that TC thanks.

I'll try that.

Comment

Hmmmmm Greg,

Check points should be: compression, shape of final drive (and mod), shape of middle drive, possible fuel restrictions, plug conditions, coils, valve clearances, wheel bearings, possible brake drag and maybe not last but not least atmospheric heat (heat alone can rob 10% of available HP).

Also +1 on your advance.
                      Scratch all that. I ain't no GURU.
                      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                      Original except:
                      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

when i figure it out i'll let you know, but if you get it fixed first PLEASE let me know!!!

i've got the exact same issue.
                        but mine stops at 105.

it don't have any barnyard animal problems... on the straights.
                        (except in corners, then you'll see my feathers)

i run 250's 2 stroke and four.. RPM is the ONLY way to get top speed.

i've tested my advance and it seems to stop shy of full stroke at 6cu. in vac..
                        (i think that's the right scale on the mighty vac) it fully engages at 9.

but yeah it seems more fual related....
                        i'm planning on jerking the octy for testing.
                        Prime still doesn't act quite right on my bike....??
                        pulling octy is a better test.

i'm installing green coils when they arrive.

keep me posted and i'll do the same.
                        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Did you

check the air in the tires? He He He LOL Couldn't help it!

Seriously, stick a couple Roman Candles up the pipes and I bet your problem is solved! OK, OK, I'll sign off.
                          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                          Original except:
                          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Wow...first its farm animals....now its shoving roman candles up his....pipes...yeah ...pipes. Well, this is Oklahoma now isn't it.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

As TC stated, what size main jet are you running?
                              a to big or small main jet will cause what your describing,
                              and if the weathers hot like u stated earlier, could be a good
                              chance your running rich.
                              pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots
                              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Agravation, irritation

Mine is running factory jetting.

i ran sporty pipes, same problem
                                i now have HD touring pipes, same problem
                                i installed adjustable inline exhaust restrictors, got rid of low rpm "dead spot"
                                still have same problem

it acts this way at all temps, i rode last fall down to 37F and this summer up to 88F and always acts the same.

all plugs show good light brown cardboard color.

have not "throttle chop" tested.

i have a colortune kit coming, should be here in a few days.
                                i have a spare TCI i'm going to try.
                                i have green coils coming, again.. in a few days.
                                i'll remove the octy to eliminate the posibility of a flow restriction issue.
                                the carbs ARE cleaned properly and floats are set properly

the octy, petcocks and carbs have all been rebuilt.

the pick-up fix is done.
                                the fuse block has been replaced (ATC)
                                all connections cleaned and die-electric greased.
                                spark plag caps are new.
                                spark plugs are new and in good shape.
                                timing light was used and vac advance unhooked.

pick-up tolerence has not been adjusted yet.
                                all 4 seem to fire evenly at low and mid throttle.

my idea's..

Bad TCI, messes up at high rpm under load.
                                Bad/weak coils.
                                Octy somehow restricting fuel flow...

Anyone have any other idea's please let us know.
                                1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
                                X