Question about Rotor/Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
    I don't know what my old CL360 had for an alternator type, but I know it ran wet. The manual even told you to make sure it was on the center stand and put something under it when removing the cover (which you had to do to set the timing. IIRC there wasn't an oil filter either, just a really fine metal screen that you had to clean each time you changed the oil (every 1500 miles or so as well, or something like every 700 miles under dirty conditions, which since I lived in AZ at the time was what I had to deal with, it was like change the oil every 3rd tank of gas or something like that. ).

I also recall that it had a two stage system, with different output levels with the headlight on or off. Sometimes to charge the battery faster I would turn on the headlight and unplug the bulb (ran a CB radio on it, so I needed the extra juice) .
    That bike had a permanent magnet system that was rather primitive but it worked...

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
      Here goes:

First, I should say that the rotor is merely a disruptor of the magnetic field which causes electrons to flow, and that the rust on the rotor won't effect that. No one has said that yet.
      Yep, YOU did. Post 3 and XJOK2PLAY did in post 4.

Next, dielectric grease can pass electricity. Air can as well. In fact, everything in the known universe except one thing can pass electricity. The only thing that can't is a pure vacuum, and those are mere theory with out practice, so essentially every material substance can pass electricity. The difference being that some things pass it more radily than others.
      In the strictist sense this is correct but for our practical purposes it's not that relevant. The flow of electricity is dependant on the prescence of free atoms in a material and since all matter consists of atoms then all matter conducts to some degree, but knowing pure science is one thing, knowing how to apply it to everyday practical use is quite another.

In comparison to dry air, dielectric grease has much more resistance to electricity than air.
      Nope, incorrect. The electrical resistance of dry, clean air is approximately 80 times higher than that of dielectric grease. Clean water is approximatey 35 times higher and even clean oil is higher. Air, water and oil are excellent insulators when clean, it's only when impurities are introduced that conductivity increases. Look it up if you wish, but us Trained electricians know this stuff, we get taught it as part of our basic apprenticeship.

The purpose of the grease is to seal the connection without providing a conductive path between the terminals.On more modern applications, the connectors themselves have gaskets that seal against contamination, which negates the need for dielectric grease. So, dielectric grease isn't intended to be an insulator, although it does act like one in some respects.
      Look up the definition of Dielectric before fully accepting that statement. It fly's in the face of 35 years of trade experience and 300 years of accepted electrical knowledge on the use of conductors and insultators.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
        Yep, YOU did. Post 3 and XJOK2PLAY did in post 4.
        Hey, no need to get personal because you're still pissy with me. That was a sarcastic joke. No need to throw up 180 proof BS just cause you have a temper.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Wasnt getting personal, merely pointing out a few incorrect statements. Not my problem if you cant handle being wrong.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
          X