Question about Rotor/Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Rotor/Stator

I pulled the cover off the side to inspect the rotor and stator to enhance the reliability of the elec. system. The rotor had a little rust and the coils check out for ohms as per the manual. My question is would their be any benifit to using Di-electric grease on the rotor for re-assembly or just clean it and put it back together dry? Thanks in advance guys.

Hmmm...now I have never pulled the stator off the bike as of yet. Shortly to be rectified when I part out the beaten heart of Thunderstruck, both top and bottom cases had bolt holes shredded when the engine guards(yeah what a name for them) bent back and destroyed both sides of the engine. But I digress....I also am no electrical guru by any stretch.

however, when you put the two pieces together, are they not suppose to create an electrical field to generate the power? Di-Electric grease would seem to create a barrior to the flow of electricity and thereby defeat the purpose of the device.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I don't see any purpose in putting grease on the rotor. If you have an XJ with the brushed alternator, then DON'T use grease. It will trap the little bits of carbon from the brushes and shavings of brass from the rings and eventually short out the rotor. This will eventually lead to a burnt up regulator and brushes.

On the XS with the brushless alternator, I can't see it causing a problem, but would be un necessary. If you're worried about rust on it, don't. The rust won't cause any issues with the electrical part of it all. The rotor is just a wheel that disrupts the magnetic field of the coil in the middle, and there is enough iron in it that a bit of rust isn't going to cause a problem at all.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Couple of things...

Rusty rotor shouldn't be a problem. You can check alt. output w/ a voltmeter, and by the brightness of the headlight, and the performance of the turn signal flashes...

Also, do not try to start the bike if the alt cover is removed! Gally plug will shoot out, and oil will go everwhere! (Just a reminder, if you already knew...)

But a little rust shouldn't be a problem. Others may have a differing opinion, but I wouldn't do the dielectric.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          however, when you put the two pieces together, are they not suppose to create an electrical field to generate the power? Di-Electric grease would seem to create a barrior to the flow of electricity and thereby defeat the purpose of the device.
          The dielectric grease won't create a barrier to electricity flow in this case, since the objects are not designed to flow electricity between each other. The electricity flows through the field coil (mounted to the center of the inside of the cover), and separately, through the stator (also mounted to the inside of the cover). The rotor spins between these two sets of wires, creating electricity.

So, the only thing dielectric grease does is create a barrier to corrosion without conducting electricity through itself. If it were me, I would leave the rotor dry, and just reassemble. The small rust covering on the rotor won't cause a problem. If you want to remove the rotor and dunk it in some rust remover, then clean and coat it in grease, I suppose it wouldn't hurt either.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

As stated there is no electric transfer between the parts in question, so shouldnt cause a problem.

Dielectric grease does create a barrier for electricity. It should only be used on electric parts where the contacts are pressed together because that is the only way for electricity to pass through the grease.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by whiskey pete View Post
              I pulled the cover off the side to inspect the rotor and stator to enhance the reliability of the elec. system. The rotor had a little rust and the coils check out for ohms as per the manual. My question is would their a.be any benifit to using Di-electric grease on the rotor for re-assembly or just clean it and put it back together dry? Thanks in advance guys.
              Hi pete,
              the XS11 rotor has no windings or brush rings, it's just a steel thing with holes in that spins to stir up the flux between the inner stationary electromagnet and the outer stationary windings so they make A.C.
              The rust won't affect anything.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                Dielectric grease does create a barrier for electricity. It should only be used on electric parts where the contacts are pressed together because that is the only way for electricity to pass through the grease.
                Actually, it creates no more of a barrier to electricity than dry air does. The benefit of using dielectric grease is that you can coat electric contacts with it, blocking air and moisture to impede corrosion. It will not conduct electricity, therefore, you can coat several contacts with the same "glob" of grease without worrying about shorting the circuit. It works great in the left handlebar controls, with all the moving parts, and does double-duty as a bit of a lubricant for the switches at the same time.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  Actually, it creates no more of a barrier to electricity than dry air does. The benefit of using dielectric grease is that you can coat electric contacts with it, blocking air and moisture to impede corrosion. It will not conduct electricity, therefore, you can coat several contacts with the same "glob" of grease without worrying about shorting the circuit. It works great in the left handlebar controls, with all the moving parts, and does double-duty as a bit of a lubricant for the switches at the same time.
                  Actually, it does create a barrier to electricity. Thats part of it's purpose. It's NON CONDUCTIVE, therefore a complete barrier to electricity. If you apply too much of it to your contacts and plugs, and prevent metal to metal contact then electricity wont flow. But, while it's a barrier to the flow of electricity, it's NOT a barrier to the flow of magnetisim, which is what's referred to in this discussion about the alternator. However it's of no benefit whatsoever, because theres no metal to metal contact and nothing that needs sealed in this instance.

It's other, and perhaps main purpose, as has been stated previously, is to seal a connection from air and moisture allowing a 'clean' and corrosion free contact between conductive components.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    Actually, it creates no more of a barrier to electricity than dry air does.
                    Electricity cannot jump through dielectric grease (unless the parts are physically touching), but electricity can jump through dry air.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here goes:

First, I should say that the rotor is merely a disruptor of the magnetic field which causes electrons to flow, and that the rust on the rotor won't effect that. No one has said that yet.

Next, dielectric grease can pass electricity. Air can as well. In fact, everything in the known universe except one thing can pass electricity. The only thing that can't is a pure vacuum, and those are mere theory with out practice, so essentially every material substance can pass electricity. The difference being that some things pass it more radily than others. In comparison to dry air, dielectric grease has much more resistance to electricity than air. The dielectric part just comes from the fact that it doesn't have any conductive materials in it. Ever try using some moly grease or lithium grease on an electrical connection? Most dielectric is silicone based, but, in a pinch, petroleum jelly will work. The purpose of the grease is to seal the connection without providing a conductive path between the terminals.On more modern applications, the connectors themselves have gaskets that seal against contamination, which negates the need for dielectric grease. So, dielectric grease isn't intended to be an insulator, although it does act like one in some respects.

Somewhere, hidden in the above, is a point that I was trying to make.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

We'll contact Sherlock Holmes to see if he can find it.

But the short answer to it all is I misunderstood the construction under the cover thinking the field coils were on the rotating portion. Good thing I clarified that I had never pulled that cover.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

nope, none of the electrical parts move, which is kinda cool, but I suspect the design severely limits the amount of power you can produce, otherwise you'd see it on car alternators and such and I've never seen another one like this setup.

Do a google search for albertson alternator, kind of a variation on our design that was used to produce HF radio signals.
                          1979 xs1100 Special -
                          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                          My Bike:
                          [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                            nope, none of the electrical parts move, which is kinda cool, but I suspect the design severely limits the amount of power you can produce, otherwise you'd see it on car alternators and such and I've never seen another one like this setup.
                            For what it's worth, all of the SOHC Honda fours from 1969~1978 used the same design alternator but Honda ran it wet. As I recall the the little 600cc Honda care also had the this type alternator. It has it's advantages but max power output isn't one of them...

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                              For what it's worth, all of the SOHC Honda fours from 1969~1978 used the same design alternator but Honda ran it wet. As I recall the the little 600cc Honda care also had the this type alternator. It has it's advantages but max power output isn't one of them...

Geezer
                              I don't know what my old CL360 had for an alternator type, but I know it ran wet. The manual even told you to make sure it was on the center stand and put something under it when removing the cover (which you had to do to set the timing. IIRC there wasn't an oil filter either, just a really fine metal screen that you had to clean each time you changed the oil (every 1500 miles or so as well, or something like every 700 miles under dirty conditions, which since I lived in AZ at the time was what I had to deal with, it was like change the oil every 3rd tank of gas or something like that. ).

I also recall that it had a two stage system, with different output levels with the headlight on or off. Sometimes to charge the battery faster I would turn on the headlight and unplug the bulb (ran a CB radio on it, so I needed the extra juice) .
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X