Air box issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If no smoke then what?
    1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.
    1978 XS1100s Flat Black with a Windjammer and hard bags setup. (parts pig)

Comment

Are you sure there is no fuel mixed in that oil?
      Sometimes the carbs/floats fail and allow fuel to seep past and into the crank case raising the "oil" level.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
      Second bike is an FJR1300.
      Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Originally posted by vileneeds View Post
        I drained it, and replaced two quarts without changing the oil.
        Say what? Are you saying you drained the oil, only got out 2 quarts, then put it back in? If the oil was clean, I guess that makes some sense.

However, I still wonder when you drained the oil, did you remove the oil filter housing, or did you remove the crankcase drain plug, or did you remove both? A lot of new owners have dropped the oil filter housing and only got out a small amount of oil, so when they add the prescribed amount, they end up way overfilled, which can cause oil to be pumped up into the airbox like what you describe.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
          Say what? Are you saying you drained the oil, only got out 2 quarts, then put it back in? If the oil was clean, I guess that makes some sense.

However, I still wonder when you drained the oil, did you remove the oil filter housing, or did you remove the crankcase drain plug, or did you remove both? A lot of new owners have dropped the oil filter housing and only got out a small amount of oil, so when they add the prescribed amount, they end up way overfilled, which can cause oil to be pumped up into the airbox like what you describe.
          This got me to thinking, did you pull the drain plug that faces toward the front of the engine or the middle drive plug that faces straight down at the rear of the engine? If its the latter, fill the middle drive before riding so you don't end up with the rear wheel possibly locking up.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I pulled the oil filter and then checked the oil guage and fill point to find NO oil, then put the two quarts in. sorry about the typo in the older post. So that may have been it. I will double check ALL the fluids before I road test it. I have to entertain she who must be obeyed today so working on the bike is out of the question. If ay other suggestions are out there, I will gladly take them.
            1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.

Comment

Originally posted by vileneeds View Post
              I pulled the oil filter and then checked the oil guage and fill point to find NO oil, then put the two quarts in.
              I'm guessing you did this with the bike on the sidestand. Oil level must be checked with the bike on the centrestand, or at least sitting level. If it filled to the 'full' mark while on the sidestand, it will again be way overfilled.

Have you found the crankcase drain plug yet?
              Ken Talbot

Comment

It was on the center stand. I did not find the crank case plug. I have to re-download the manual. My digital and hard copy have been ruined. I did manage to get out from under she who must be obeyed's most watchful eye and unplugged the line from the case to the ait box. once again started like a champ [zero idle issues and no choke.] ran for a minute and a half. just a wisp of smoke and only once from the line. I thought to my self..."Self, It may have corrected itself so move the bike a little." so off the stand it came. No problems. Out of the garage and all hell broke loose. spilled quite a bit of fluids on my driveway and made a weird glug glug noise as I killed the enigine. Chew on this for a bit.

Comment

The oil drain plug is on the front left side of the oil pan, facing forward. A small amount of smoke from the breather hose is normal.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The smoke did not bother me, it was the tidal wave of engine oil that scared me. I screamed like a little girl in a horror movie.

Comment

Okay, now it is getting interesting.

When I bought Tsunami, the PO had grossly overfilled it. I had an amazing smoke show going on as I drove it to my BIL's place on the way home. It was pumping oil up into the airbox, which leaked out of the drain in the bottom cover, which pooled up on the top of the crankcase, which rolled off during corners onto the hot exhaust pipes.

Looking at at my BIL's place, we eventually found the sight glass on the right side of the motor, but were still not convinced it was overfull. All that new, fresh oil the PO put in was so clear, it made the sight glass look empty. We used siphon, removed a couple of litres, and eventually saw the oil level line in the glass, right where it should be. No more smoke show after that.

Any chance you did the same thing?
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

possibly...... she who must be obeyed "changed the oil" for me with my brother while I was in Iraq. But I pulled off the oil filter and nothing came out. Would it? Pour out? if the oil filter was off?

Comment

No, it won't pour out of the filter, just what is in the cup. The majority of the oil will drain out of the before mentioned oil pan drain plug. Your best bet is to leave the filter alone, drain all the oil out the pan drain plug, then refill with 2.5 quarts and check the level thru the sight glass with the bike on the centerstand. Too much oil in there is NFG, as you already know.
                          Last edited by bikerphil; 06-14-2010, 09:33 PM.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Bikerphil's all over it. You only get out a little bit of the oil by removing the filter. Most of the oil is still sitting in the bottom of the crankcase.
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

That explains a lot. I will run with it in the a.m. and let you guys know whats up.

Comment

All right. Going to the garage to re- re0drain it and hopefully get it right and not cause a con-flag alarm. My 90 year old neighbor starts getting nervous everytime she sees the bike now.

Comment

Working...
                                X