Air box issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air box issue.

Why would there be a copious amount of oil dripping out of my air box?
    1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.
    1978 XS1100s Flat Black with a Windjammer and hard bags setup. (parts pig)

Your oil level might be too high, check it thru the sight glass with bike on the centerstand. The crankcase breather connects to the air box and will suck oil up there if the level is too high.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

My manual is dead, this bike should holds 2.5 quarts; right?
      1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.

Comment

3 quarts without filter change, a little under 4 with filter change. Level should be in between the two lines at the sight glass.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Originally posted by vileneeds View Post
          Why would there be a copious amount of oil dripping out of my air box?
          Because there's oil inside it.

Right by the oil sight glass, it says 3000cc. I would imagine that's on a filter change as well, so maybe 2.5 quarts is ok without changing the filter.

Probably the oil is coming up through the vent hose, which usually isn't good.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I drained it, and replaced two quarts without changing the oil. Thank you for the carb help Ivan, you fixed the idle from blowing up my engine. you were right about the cable needing to be lubed.

Comment

I recently changed the oil in my SG and manual said 3.7 quarts with filter change. On a side note is that your maroon XS for sale in the Uncle Henry's?
              1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Comment

When you get it running again, you might pull the hose off the center of the air box that goes down to the engine and see if there is a bunch of blowby coming through. At idle, it should be more of a whisp than a puff or stream of gasses. If there is a bunch of oil splatter coming out, it may be time to look at rings.

Hows it run otherwise?
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

It fired up for the first time in twenty one years on the thrid try. 89 was the last time this model saw the road. Idled funky for a turn or two; smoked out my garage (neighbors threatened me with the fire department) but after that it was smooth. sounds great. Justs bleeds out from the air box. TexinMaine. Thats not me, btw how much they want. Always looking for the next parts bin.

Comment

that blow by would be from the box not the hose, correct? I will try that in the morning.

Comment

$2900, but it certainly not a parts bike, very nice looking.

http://www.unclehenrys.com/init/clas...%2F1%233259013
                      1981 XS1100H

Comment

Thats not mine but it is the same minus the rust,grime and dents.

Comment

Actually, in Ivan's test, the oil and pressure would come out of the hose.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Pull the hose off the air box and see if smoke is coming out of the hose. Your rings could just be stuck from sitting so long.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

Comment

Yeah, there really doesnt seem to be many XS11's around here. I would like to find a basket case, there is a member on here that made a beautiful bobber out of one. He calls it the copper bobber chopper, I would love to make a similer one.
                              1981 XS1100H

Comment

Working...
                              X