Pop quiz: Front Axle Castle Bolt Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uhhh....

Aren't case bolts 9 ft-lb for the 6 mm and 14 ft-lb for the 8 mm?

While I agree that channel locks are not an acceptable form of tightening a critical fastener such as an axle bolt, the torque can't be that critical in this instance. Anyone who has tightened castle nuts with a torque wrench knows that your chances of winning the lottery at the same instant as getting struck by lightening are greater than getting proper torque with the slots lined up to get that cotter pin to slide through. So, do you go to 60 ft-lbs or to 45? In the case of the axle with a fine pitch thread, the actual pressure on the bolt exerted with each foot pound of torque is nominal, so I'd just go to the one closest to being lined up.

BTW, when doing work on other's bikes, try to avoid "gootentight" whether you charge or not, cause it won't stand up as well as a tinkerer's dam to Noah's flood in front of a Judge in a liability hearing. JAT
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

oh, oh pick me, I'm a guru!

I only own two tools, a big hammer and a pair of vice grips. If I can't do it with those then It doesn't need to be fixed!

Really though I do have something on the topic to add...

Just because your using a torque wrench (especially if its new) apply a little common sense as well....
      I picked up a new tourque wrench from Harbor freight a few weeks ago, and I went tighten the star plate bolts, as I worked them down I thought to myself, man this seems really tight (compared to the beam type wrench I used to use that only goes to 7Nm, and 10Nm is called for so I guesstimated where 10 would be) and sure enough, twisted off one of the bolt heads. Upon closer inspection the "clicker" in the new wrench doesn't make any sound so all the bolts were significantly over tight....guess thats what you get for a 8 buck torque wrench.

rounding the corners off the nut by the time you reach that torque. It is even worse than using a 12 point socket as those channel locks are only grabbing maybe four of the six corners
      This is the reason I despise many PO's, I've been known to use a pair of pliers on a bolt in a pinch (the side of the road) but anyone who does it with the proper tool available should be shot. Sorry C-bug! Nothing irks me more then trying to remove a bolt that someone rounded off with some pliers, for some reason PO's really like to use them on oil pan bolts
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Uhhhhhhhh

I'm not and will never be a guru but, I figured I would mention that there are 2 holes thru the axle and 3 slots "thru" the nut so the chance that one would not line up within 10 percent is nil. So the torque should be fairly close.
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Gosh John, there you go being all "realist" again. But yeah, they are usually pretty close, but never just right.

At least we don't have to deal with Torque to Yeild fasteners or torque-angle meters huh?

Comment

Ahh, this must be the new simmering-topic forum

BTW, had that over-torqued lug nut issue once, too. ASS)(ole used the impact wrench to put the nuts back on. Didn't even think about it till I got a flat and couldn't get the nuts off. I'm still cursin that guy.

I hate that. When you can't get your nuts off.

Comment

its even worse when you loose grip and hit yourself in the forehead huh? LMAO!

Comment

Yea, you can always get them off if they are lined up with the hole and it's properly tight......

The nut......what did you think I meant?............
                Last edited by XSokieSPECIAL; 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I use a green laser to line up my cotter pin hole now... And I only use Channellock brand "channel locks" with things not designed for a wrench or socket, like pipe or a round shaft..... isn't that right Harry?
                  Last edited by Montreux_Blue; 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM.
                  http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
                    I use a green laser to line up my cotter pin hole now... And I only use Channellock brand "channel locks" with things not designed for a wrench or socket, like pipe or a round shaft..... isn't that right Harry?
                    Well, as a "guru" you should be aware that a red laser is the preferred cotter pin line up laser. sheeez
                    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I disagree, everyone knows that green is more accurate then red!

I only own two tools, a big hammer and a pair of vice grips. If I can't do it with those then It doesn't need to be fixed!
                      BTW that goes for everything, not just lasers. I painted both my tools green to make them more accurate. Accuracy is VERY important with a big hammer - verified by my fingers!
                      1979 xs1100 Special -
                      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                      My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
                        i sure as he!! Hope no one is charging people money that does that kind of work on their bikes! For the love of god and yourself or whoevers bike your working on, go buy a bloody torque wrench!!
                        hhiillaarrriioouuss!!!!!!!!
                        Joe

78XS1100

Comment

I like the guru and super guru using kid abreviations like LMAO...just type it. Yes I know that you actually didn't use LMFAO. TTYL ThankYouVeryMuch TYVM etc....
                          Last edited by Brad; 06-09-2010, 07:46 PM.
                          Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
                          1978 XS 1100E
                          Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
                          K & N Air filter
                          Home built forward controls
                          Vulcan Mustang seat
                          A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
                            i like the guru and super guru using kid abreviations like lmao...just type it. Yes i know that you actuaklly didn't use lmfao. Ttyl
                            \/\/7|=? |_| |)0|\|'7 |_||<{ |_{{7 $|*{{|<?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                              \/\/7|=? |_| |)0|\|'7 |_||<{ |_{{7 $|*{{|<?
                              That must be a metric torque wrench reading. LOL
                              Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
                              1978 XS 1100E
                              Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
                              K & N Air filter
                              Home built forward controls
                              Vulcan Mustang seat
                              A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

its leet speek for "WTF? U don't like leet speek?" Figured you'd get it?

More wasted dry humor. I am just not doing well today.

Comment

Working...
                                X