No announcement yet.

sync problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug - My lil' bro is the purchasing agent for Cincinnati Container Service, and he's going to bring me some 1/2 oz bottles this evening. He said he's always seen mercury in glass containers, and didn't know what it would do to polypropylene containers. Anybody know what mercury will do (if anything) to polypro? Anyway, he's bringing me one of each. I just went out and looked in the container, and the merc doesn't look too terrible, but it's a bit dirty. I've also got a little bottle of the blue manometer fluid if you want that. Might be better to just replace the mercury with the blue stuff.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The sync gauges I have are all plastic. No glass at all. I just wanted to re-fill the few drops of mercury that I spilled out of my neighbor's tool, so I can give it back in the same condition I got it in. Of course, if you want to send me more stuff, I'm not one to complain.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

IIRC from Chem class mercury is fairly inert until it is oxidized, which it doesn't do as easily as other metals. Even at that, oxides of mercury shouldn't react with plastics. However, mecuric oxide is the poisionous part of dealing with mercury, so if you start seeing brownish yellow powdery stuff, get rid of it and don't ingest it.

I guess, in a nutshell, the poly bottle should be ok, as well as break resistant.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
          don't ingest it.
          Good suggestion there!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
            and don't ingest it
            Thanks captain obvious! oh man, I type too slow to be the first to poke fun at Ivan
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

I'll try the polypro. PM me your address, Bug, and I'll figure a way to get it there.

psyco - captain obvious - LOL .
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
              X