sync problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sync problems

i have a motion pro syncpro i have used it a few times with sucess however i used it yesterday and no matter were i set it at it would pull the fuild out of it. i do have the restrictors in the hoses. anybody have any ideas?
    82 xj1100j
    4-1 header
    k&n air pods
    accel coils
    progressive rear shocks
    dyno jet kit
    79 xs1100es (love of my life) passed away

If it's idling anything faster than 1100 rpm, turn the main idle knob down so it's at 1100 or below.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I had a motion pro mercury manometer that was great - 'till I got a backfire through the carbs that sent gas into the mercury. That killed it. Are you getting what looks like breaks in the fluid in the tubes?

To add to what Phil said, you never want to goose the throttle with a manometer connected - vacuum goes way up when you let off the throttle.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
        I had a motion pro mercury manometer that was great - 'till I got a backfire through the carbs that sent gas into the mercury. That killed it. Are you getting what looks like breaks in the fluid in the tubes?

To add to what Phil said, you never want to goose the throttle with a manometer connected - vacuum goes way up when you let off the throttle.
        as a matter of fact yes
        82 xj1100j
        4-1 header
        k&n air pods
        accel coils
        progressive rear shocks
        dyno jet kit

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          If it's idling anything faster than 1100 rpm, turn the main idle knob down so it's at 1100 or below.
          have had it below 1000 still pulling fuild in to motor
          82 xj1100j
          4-1 header
          k&n air pods
          accel coils
          progressive rear shocks
          dyno jet kit

Comment

as a matter of fact yes
            I'm assuming the 'yes' was in reference to bubbles in the tubes? Is it a mercury manometer or the newer kind with the manometer fluid? The newer ones you can replace the fluid in. Might be able to use manometer fluid in the old type too. That's what I was going to do with mine, but I broke it in the process. At any rate, if it got gas in the fluid, the fluid's done. I think I've still got a little bottle of blue manometer fluid out in the mancave as I never got to use it .

Also, from the time you post you have 10 minutes that you can go back in an edit your post (like I'm doing now ). I'm seeing a lot of people put up multiple posts - one right after another - and just thought I would mention it.
            Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-08-2010, 09:32 AM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

is it pulling fluid to far on all four or just one? If its just one, you are grossly out of synch and it might be better to get the carbs close using a small wire between the butterflies and the carb throat first. If its all four, I guess your engine really sucks huh? However, my guess would be a restriction to airflow before the carbs, like a plugged up air filter. That's just a guess though.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I would suspect a leak to atmosphere in the tubing somewhere
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

Have the same MotionPro and have used them several times. The glass tudes are way to delicate and like to break. For the first time the other day had one on the tubes keep pulling the merc. up into it even at idle. At that point had all four dead-on. Was really wierd as mercury jumped into tubing and as i saw it heading to be digested I jerked tubing off the the right side two and liquid metal hit the floor luckily. Mercury was getting a bit contaminated and was starting to show bubbles. Have used these for some five years and changed out the mercury one time. Think I'm gonna go with the digital set-up or at least something better quality. The mercury set-up unfortunately is still the most accurate and constant, so if anyone can direct me to a GOOD mercury set-up and gauges, posting it would much be appreciated. Thanks, Brant.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have my neighbor's mercury set, and I do like the fluid response to it. Unfortunately, I ended up spilling a bit of the mercury when I was strapping it to my bike for a trip. I'm going to buy the Carbtune soon (solid rods, no liquid), but it would be nice to replace the mercury I dumped out before I give it back to my neighbor. It still works, but it tends to get air in the columns because the level is too low. If anyone has an old set of mercury gauges with a small amount of mercury left, or a supply of mercury sitting around, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Unfortunately our all knowing government decided that people are too stupid not to swallow mercury or take twelve hour baths in the stuff, so it got put on the do not distribute list some time in the last decaqde or so. Its going to be hard to get.

FWIW, mercury was used specifically because it is NOT as accurate as othber fluids. Due to its extremely high density, it makes for a very compact manometer. If water were used, the synch gauge would be well over 6 feet long, because water is not nearly as heavy per unit as water. In this case "A pint is a pound the world around" doesn't hold true. I forget the conversion factor, but a pint of water weighs a pound but a pint of mercury would weigh more like 10.

Damnit, now I have to go look up how many inches of water pressure makes an inch of mercury. LOL
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Bug - I've still got the mercury that came out of my old set since I didn't know where to get rid of it. It's gas contaminated, and has been in an open container for about 18 mos, but you're welcome to it . Who knows, maybe the gas has evaporated out of it by now. Unfortunately I think the usps frowns on mailing that stuff. UPS may be OK with it though.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                          Bug - I've still got the mercury that came out of my old set since I didn't know where to get rid of it. It's gas contaminated, and has been in an open container for about 18 mos, but you're welcome to it . Who knows, maybe the gas has evaporated out of it by now. Unfortunately I think the usps frowns on mailing that stuff. UPS may be OK with it though.
                          Hmmm... I'm interested. I wonder about the fuel contamination though. Heck, if you want to get rid of it, I'll take it and experiment with it. If you can find a way to ship it, let me know the postage, and I'll take it off your hands.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I used to work for UPS, and they might ship it if you follow all the hazards materials regs for packaging but It seems like they won't ship haz-mats for individuals, only for businesses. Either way it might be cheaper for you to mine your own then to have UPS ship it. And don't even think about trying to "sneak" it through, so much stuff ends up open or broken that your chances of getting caught are high, and the fines even higher.
                            1979 xs1100 Special -
                            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                            My Bike:
                            [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                              I used to work for UPS, and they might ship it if you follow all the hazards materials regs for packaging but It seems like they won't ship haz-mats for individuals, only for businesses. Either way it might be cheaper for you to mine your own then to have UPS ship it. And don't even think about trying to "sneak" it through, so much stuff ends up open or broken that your chances of getting caught are high, and the fines even higher.
                              Party pooper!
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X