no start, Confused and frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
    I thought he was getting the reading between the feed wires and the high tension wires where there should be no continuity at all. According to Ivan that's an indication of a shorted coil
    Sorry, I misunderstood where you were getting your reading from. Hope I didn't confuse you. These guys know what they're talking about.

Good luck!
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by Sgriger534 View Post
      Yes, i put the leads on the wire from the TCI where it is soldered onto on the other lead onto the high tension wire. It was very high resistance but as far as i know it should have been infinite, my reading was about 11 M ohms
      I really want to help you but this makes no sense to me, maybe its because its early and I haven't gotten my caffeine fix for the day yet..
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

For all practical purposes, 11,000,000 ohms is close enough to infinite.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

no, it makes no since because it is early on my part. I put one of the leads onto the orange wire off of the tci where it is soldered onto the coil, and the other lead onto the high tension wire
          1978 XS1100

Comment

Also does anybody know the part number for the accel coils
            1978 XS1100

Comment

You said you tested from the orange wire at the TCI? I think before you order coils, you might try that test at the coil, since what you're trying to determine is whether or not the coil is shorted. Running it through the rest of that wiring and connectors doesn't seem prudent. Who knows what other kind of 'leaks' you might have in the wiring that could produce a reading.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I did test it at the coil, but is it werid for both coils to go out at the same time, now they are both stock coils i belive but i don't know if it is common for both to go out at the same time
                1978 XS1100

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                  For all practical purposes, 11,000,000 ohms is close enough to infinite.
                  I don't think that reading you got indicates a failed coil, at least not clearly enough that I'd want to spend 100+ on new coils.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I don't like using DMM's for this sort of work, they're too sensitive. For all you know, you could be reading through some damp insulation or your own body resistance.

I agree with Ivan, 11M is infinite as it applies to these circuits. You should be testing between the high tension (spark plug) wires to test the secondary side of the coils, then between Orange and Red/White for one primary and then Gray and Red/White for the other primary.

Do the primary tests with both leads disconnected from the TCI, otherwise your readings could be wacky.

Comment

i think also today i am going to pick up a anolog multimeter so i can actually do the test on the tci right.
                      1978 XS1100

Comment

Working...
                      X