No announcement yet.

"New" Midnight Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man it's going to cost a boat load of cash to ship it to Norway. Since I'm such a good guy, how about I pay to ship it to my house and I send you videos of me riding it around???

No, I figured it was worth a try. That's a nice lookin Midnight. Way to go!
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

dpotter58.....yes maybe I`ll do that - much cheaper for me ! No,shipping to Norway is not that expensive : $650 from IOWA to OSLO. But first I will have it shipped from Arizona to Iowa...thats around $700
      Thanks to you all for your friendly words , I am really looking foreward to get this beauty to Norway
      TERJE

`79SF
      `80SG x 2
      `80LG x 2
      `81SH
      `82XJ1100J
      `83CB1000 CUSTOM
      `79WIFE

Comment

Originally posted by TERJE ANDERSEN View Post
        Hi ! I "won" this bike on Ebay some hours ago and I think it looks really nice. However, there are a few things I noticed missing: the "gold" on the two front engine covers are missing,and the plastic plugs that usually are in the allen bolts which fasten the handlebars are missing, what is your opinion of this bike ? Have I paid too much, or is it a good price? Please forgive my bad english writing ! Look at the link :
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SA:MOTORS:1123
        Have a nice day,
        TERJE
        Hi Terje,
        tell you a story about bike prices. Back in the 1960s I saw an Ariel Square Four in a bike shop priced at £250.
        Visiting back home in the 1980s I saw what looked to be the identical bike priced at £2,500 and who knows what it'd sell for these days.
        So don't sweat the price, that's a real nice bike and it's price will only increase with time.
        MikesXS sells the plastic plugs for the 'bar bolts.
        If you can't live with the ridiculous 85mph speedo, the innards of any Canadian or Euro metric XS series speedo will read to 220kph, fit right in the housing and be accurate.
        The link to the missing decal shows an ugly yellow blob that looks like a paintball hit. Unless that's the back of it, I'd say, leave it off.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          Actually, it goes on the RIGHT side, on the alternator cover. But, yeah, in the circle around the "Yamaha".
          ON my MNS it is in both sides in the grove and painted, no decals.
          I am the orginal owner with serial number 000351.
          The Covers were orginally to come from the factory as Black chrome with gold insets. I didn't find out that the were not until I washed the bike for the first time. I and the salesman had a few words.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            The link to the missing decal shows an ugly yellow blob that looks like a paintball hit. Unless that's the back of it, I'd say, leave it off.
            Fred - That's just the backing. If you look closely, what it actually has on it is a shiny gold ring around the outer edge. The Gold peels off of the yellow backing and applies to the groove on the engine cover.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

don't forget the first 1980 models the side covers were not groved but had the sticker. 1981 models the covers were cast with a grove and given the same paint treatment as the "YAMAHA" on the same covers
              Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
              XS1100LG Precious current
              XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
              KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

Originally posted by TERJE ANDERSEN View Post
                dpotter58.....yes maybe I`ll do that - much cheaper for me ! No,shipping to Norway is not that expensive : $650 from IOWA to OSLO. But first I will have it shipped from Arizona to Iowa...thats around $700
                Thanks to you all for your friendly words , I am really looking foreward to get this beauty to Norway
                If I had more vacation time I would volunteer to ride it from Arizona to Iowa for you . Nice find. I hope to get mine looking that good someday.
                Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Picture

Here ia a picture

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 02-07-2011, 11:57 PM. Reason: image formatting
                  TERJE

`79SF
                  `80SG x 2
                  `80LG x 2
                  `81SH
                  `82XJ1100J
                  `83CB1000 CUSTOM
                  `79WIFE

Comment

Nice find!

That's a great looking machine!! Don't matter what you paid for it.. Enjoy!!
                    78 XS1100E Standard
                    Coca Cola Red
                    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Pics of Norwegian wife please.
                      Melbourne, Australia. XS1100RH

Comment

melbxs is such an Aussie....

Asking for pics of the wife - what he should have POLITELY asked was for you to post pics of the wife WITH the bike - then it seems kinda legit eh?

Seriously you got a great deal on what I know will be a great bike for you - I don't care how much it was it will still be scads cheaper than a new Hardley or other new bike and for the price of shipping and tires will be practically new for you.

I am hoping to find one new like yours someday and be the lucky man.

John in San Antonio
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

the bike will not arrive here until september or october I guess...so pictures of wife and bike will have to wait
                          TERJE

`79SF
                          `80SG x 2
                          `80LG x 2
                          `81SH
                          `82XJ1100J
                          `83CB1000 CUSTOM
                          `79WIFE

Comment

Nice, Terj.! I saw that one...glad to see you got it. I see you're still buying up all the good xs11 stuff.
                            We don't mind if the bike isn't in the pics with you wife.
                            79 was a good year for alot of things, but I guess you know that.
                            Good luck with you're collection.
                            Garrett
                            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                            79 DT 100

Comment

Got the bike!

I am a happy man...the container with my bike came to Norway some days ago. The bike was even nicer then pictures showed
                              TERJE

`79SF
                              `80SG x 2
                              `80LG x 2
                              `81SH
                              `82XJ1100J
                              `83CB1000 CUSTOM
                              `79WIFE

Comment

Great looking bike. In the grand scheme of things what you paid isn't bad, and I everytime you ride it, it will be worth it.

blkryno

81 XS1100 Special
                                79 XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                                X