No announcement yet.

i was riding then....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Lee, if you jumper to the solonoid, make sure the bike is out of gear as you will be in no position to keep it upright...
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

[/QUOTE] make sure the bike is out of gear[/QUOTE] so i did some tracking down and found i was getting power to the main but none to the igniton. so i cheacked that little black box and in the top left wher the battery + goes to and the blue wire show no power.well atleast that what my power probe tells me.my fieldpiece poped a fuse so i wasnt able to find contiuity.but i cleaned all the connectors.i guess i try some more tomorrow. pisses me off it f=ckin riding season.but love tinkering
      _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
      1980 gs1000g "stock"
      1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
      2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

That little black box is the starter solenoid, if I'm understanding you correctly. Just under and a little to the right of the 'hot' wire (bolted on wire - goes to battery +) there should be a red/wht terminating in a little blob of solder. Those are the points you jumper with a wire to bypass the red/wht in the ignition. If it starts when you hit the starter with the jumper in place, and dies when you remove it, you'll know your problem is somewhere in the red/wht.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
          Hey Lee, if you jumper to the solonoid, make sure the bike is out of gear as you will be in no position to keep it upright...
          well check for power an got nothing past the main fuse...will the silinoid nock out power to the bike when it goes out?
          _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Your starter won't engage if the solenoid's bad, but I don't know that it will take out power to the whole system - maybe. Did you try jumpering the solenoid? That bypasses the whole thing.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Lee, If I remember correctly, the main fuse is in the fuse box under the right side cover on the 79 models. So it is one of the glass fuses in the normal holders, assuming you have not switched that out.

If I catch what your saying correctly, you may want to verify that fuse is intact and making good connections. I once helped someone with their XS with a similar issue, they had just replaced their fuse box. Found they had a bad connection where they crimped a connector on the wire. Replaced the connector and all was good.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

i had a similar problem, power to the ind lights, no start. turned out to be the the glass fuse holder for the ign circuit. pulled, cleaned, she started. ordered the fuse box from tc. haven't gotten to it yet though.
                1981 xs1100 midnight special
                1983 750 midnight maxim
                resurrected:
                1977 goldwing
                1980 cb750
                North central Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by cheezy View Post
                  i had a similar problem, power to the ind lights, no start. turned out to be the the glass fuse holder for the ign circuit. pulled, cleaned, she started. ordered the fuse box from tc. haven't gotten to it yet though.
                  i got it running had to take all the connectors off and clean them good very little corrotion. but now im going to install maxi fuses insted of the cylindrical one that are in there now.

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Working...
                  X