i was riding then....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i was riding then....

the xs decided to just turn off....checked the fuses there ok the battery is in tight and is good.....any idea where to start?
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Check the main fuse behind the left side cover just left of the battery. It's a 30 amp if you don't already know.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
      the xs decided to just turn off....checked the fuses there ok the battery is in tight and is good.....any idea where to start?
      Do you still have the old crappy glass fuses? If so get rid of them. They were causing me all kinds of unknown trouble!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

the xs decided to just turn off

Besides the main fuse,
        tip over switch
        kill switch on the right control
        pick-up coil wires
        can also cause the engine to die at very inopportune times.

mro
        The keyed switch can be a problem, but I've yet to have it happen to me.

Comment

Several folks have described those same conditions with the key switch being the culprit.

I think on the 79 models, the main fuse is in the fuse block under the right side cover.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

YUP, it sucks been there done that. 79sf

ATC Fuse block!!

and all those glass issues go away.
            (assuming all the connecters have been cleaned and die-electric greased.)
            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Several folks have described those same conditions with the key switch being the culprit. I think on the 79 models, the main fuse is in the fuse block under the right side cover.
              no glass fuses the po put in line fuses in for me....but it seems to have no power geting to the bike...but sometimes if i sit on it and gently hit the right side of the bike the nutraul light and stuff comes on for a second then it stops....it wont crank or anything..
              _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Do you have a gel battery if so they will die suddenly like that
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

If you lost everything completely, I would say it is either the key switch or fuse. If tapping the right side like that shows signs of life, then I would lean toward fuse.

If it were me chasing this down, I'd pull the right side cover, turn on the key and see where you have power going into your fuses (should be all of them) and then again, where you have power coming out. With the loose hanging fuses, I would think they could get to swinging in there or at least vibrate a bit and possibly cause a poor connection or fatigue a connector. Just my thoughts.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

I don't know if your bike has the tip over switch but my friend had one that suddenly slipped from the mount and the bike died.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    xschop K & N air filter setup
                    Dynojet Recalibration kit
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Mine did that once. I found the ground on the battery was a little loose. I tightened back up and all was well. JAT
                      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                      Pod Filters
                      DynoJet Kit
                      T.C.'s Fuse Block
                      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

I just had the same problem with Betsy last week. It wound up being in the handlebar switch, but not on the kill switch half - it was evidently the starter switch. Anyway, cleaning that side of the switch assembly got me back on the road. Put a jumper on the starter solenoid from the hot to the blob of solder with the red/wht wire, and hit the starter. If it starts that tells you it's somewhere in the red/wht. If you want to check continuity the red/wht runs from the fuse block, to the handlebar switch - handlebar switch to ballast resistor - ballast resistor to coil 'Y' connector.
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Ya, that happened to me once. After setting there for a half hour fiddle f'ing around with wires. I found I had accidently somehow hit the kill switch.
                          My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mstic2000 View Post
                            Ya, that happened to me once. After setting there for a half hour fiddle f'ing around with wires. I found I had accidently somehow hit the kill switch.
                            i know the fuses r good i checked the twice.pretty sure i dont have a kick stand switch well if there was there isnt one there anymore.but if the kill switch was hit the bike still should light up. what would cause a key switch to go bad? guess im going to start with some electrical cleaning

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Originally posted by lee_dutcher View Post
                              i know the fuses r good i checked the twice.pretty sure i dont have a kick stand switch well if there was there isnt one there anymore.but if the kill switch was hit the bike still should light up. what would cause a key switch to go bad? guess im going to start with some electrical cleaning
                              Corrosion. Check the connector for the ign. switch in the headlight bucket, they tend to melt. The ign. switch can be taken apart and cleaned if needed, no need to replace it.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X