No announcement yet.

The Junkyard dog is no more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not going to rebuild the enigne, it's parts now. I already have one all apart in my shed, but I can't get any of these to run long enough to give me time to do the rebuild

I am going to see if the 78 will cooperate and run. If it does, JD is getting stripped the skeleton. All the upgrades I have put on it will go on the 78.

Then I will sell the 78 and 80SG.

IF I get enough money from the sale of those two bikes (my hoiliday trailer, etc) I am going to buy an ST1100.

If not I am getting out of bikes all together.

Then, if I get VERY bored, I will see if I can salvage enough engines parts from JD to get the 79 SF running. IF it runs, I will scrounge the proper front end for it, and sell it.

Anything else will be distributed or scrapped.

I like having a project around, but I need a reliable bike that doesn't need constant attention.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
      ...I like having a project around, but I need a reliable bike that doesn't need constant attention.
      Mine is reliable! Im sure others have reliable Eleven's as well, its too bad you've had bad luck.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

2 things, I never said this one wasn't reliable, I put over 30,000kms on it last few years.

It just needed constant attention. It burned oil, rattled, broke speedo cables, blew through a rear tire a year, trashed 2 motors (one for the PO) bent valves, ate through brake pads, fork seals, etc.

All told I have close to or over $3000 into this bike and it still want's to die. Fine.

It also ran fine, this spring, until I decided to put it up for sale.

I guess it's all in what you compare it to, and what you're used to.

The last 3 (before XS) bikes were:

1982 Virago 750, bought at 62,000kms. Owned 3 yrs, Repaired the starter drive, about $8.
        1985 Shadow 1100 14yrs put on nearly 100,000kms. The kill switch stuck once.
        1982 Viraga 750, owned 5yrs, had to set the valves twice, used to eat a spark plug every 2yrs.

Do a poll. Ask how many people here have another bike besides thier XS's.

I should know tomorrow, if the weather holds, if the 78 issue is minor. It is either not getting fuel, to #1 or the coil(s) are iffy. Either way, I can put the high-perf coils and the known good carbs off JD on it, and know within minutes.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Craz...Sorry to hear of this catatrophic failure...just glad it didnt cause you any bodily harm. Certainly can empathize with the feelings of giving up on something thats been problematic at best.
          I have an '01 Honda ST1100...its dead nuts reliable...it has 95000 miles on it...just replaced the timing belt and tensioner...but it wasnt really necessary...preventative maintainence to be sure. My XJ1100 has been in the "garage" since I bought it new in '83 but nowadays its relegated to daytrips in good weather only. My ST can handle anything thrown at it and thats what I need when doing the LD rides. Comparitively speaking the ST needs very little other than regular maintainence so the XS/XJs' are just the opposite of the STs' in that regard.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Never seen an eleven motor holed like that before! Sorry to hear that. As Madmax stated, I also have a ST1100 which is main bike for long hauls. They just happen to be one of those scoots that no matter how long it's sat, just turn key and hit the button and ride. Although, the Venturer has has done fairly well in that respect over the years also.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well it's not just for my piece of mind. I have usually owned older bikes.

What's happened is that my freinds, some of whom I have been riding with for decades, have bought brand new or near new bikes and I've noticed they are a little more leary of taking the old machines along.

Not sure if they are worried about reliabilty or just my lowering thier 'property values.

Until Friday they haven't had to wait for me, even though I have had to wait twice while a 2008 Ultra Classic was fixed on the side of the road.

It may just be that now that they own Harleys and BMWs they are getting snobby!

'05 ST1300

Comment

It may just be that now that they own Harleys and BMWs they are getting snobby!
                So you think the country club invite won't be forthcoming?...

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to have a bike that won't give you the satisfaction of staying fixed. My Honda CX500 has been a real PITA too, bu at least it hasn't exploded yet. Every time I stop to think that it's been running well for a while, something stops working or starts leaking.

Good luck with your other XSes, hopefully you'll fall back in love with one of them.
                  '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Craz,
                    Wow! Sorry to see your 11's heart decided it needed more cooling suddenly and decided to go the 'quick' route to get it! That really sucks!

Hope you decide not to give up on the 11 totally, though.

Mine started out like yours has been doing, but it's held on to become rock- solid dependable for me this last year. (Knockin' on my wooden head...)

So far, I've put almost 15,000 miles on her this past year. I've been very impressed with mine's performance.

For the poll, since I'm one of the 'poor' members here right now, the XJ's the only bike I have. Bought it because it was a good bang for the buck. So far, I've got about $2400 invested in mine. Not bad for a complete, touring ready XJ w/ new paint and lots of the other mods and improvements.

For the past 6 weeks, it's been my ONLY source of transportation, since my daughter's Mazda decided to have brain failure, and we had to put it in the shop for a computer rebuild... (I wound up loaning her my Blazer so she can get back & forth to work...)

But... I do understand how frustrating these bikes can be when it's one thing after another... and ya can't have that on LD trips. I guess it doesn't matter what it is... sometimes mechanical things can just be hellbent toward failure, and won't stop until it gets there. Sure sorry yours chose to do this to you.

If I ever climb outta my divorce and the financial fiasco I'm in right now, I'd like to add a new bike to the stable for just that purpose, LD trips.

Hang in there, and hope the other 11 decides to play nice and give ya a 'break'... (besides the type that happens to the case... )

I can see you're definitely entitled to one.
                    Regards,
                    Bob
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thanks. It wasn't like this came as a shock. I sort of knew it ws going to happen.

I am just wobbling on whether I should just sell the 78E 'as is' now that it's running ( I will finish up the rest of the tune and safety issues), and find another drop in engine for the 80G, or move all my improvements to the 78.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I can help

Thanks, I have a complete engine, apart, in my shed, and another one in the parts bike (bent valves I think).

What I don't have is patience, money or inclination.
                        I might be able to help with the money part, I'm heading up to Slave Lake in a couple of weeks for the Canada day weekend festival, and could use a set of carbs...how much would you sell a set for? I think that I need a set cause I too dont have much time, patients or even a garage to rebuild mine. Still my bike will not idle. It runs fine, has some good power, tried to set the fuel mixture, adjusted the idle screw a few times, sync'd the carbs, changed the broken throttle cable, ran a can of sea foam through her in two tanks, still will not idle correct. Slows down till she dies out, if i turn the idle screw up or adjust the throttle cable she rev's too high.
                        Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
                        1978 XS 1100E
                        Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
                        K & N Air filter
                        Home built forward controls
                        Vulcan Mustang seat
                        A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

I don't really have a set of carbs extra. I have bits and pieces.

The set on the 78, now, are off the 79 and have a broken off mixture screw tip I was unable to get out.

I have the set off of the 78, they had holes in the diaphragms so I used some slides out of a set of Suzuki BS34s.

I have the set of Suzuki BS34s minus the slides.

I am going to put the 80 carbs on the 78.

The 80SG has it's own, and they are staying there!

'05 ST1300

Comment

I don't really have a set of carbs extra. I have bits and pieces.

The set on the 78, now, are off the 79 and have a broken off mixture screw tip I was unable to get out.

I have the set off of the 78, they had holes in the diaphragms so I used some slides out of a set of Suzuki BS34s.

I have the set of Suzuki BS34s minus the slides.

I am going to put the 80 carbs on the 78.

The 80SG has it's own, and they are staying there!
                            No problem, thanks anyway.
                            Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
                            1978 XS 1100E
                            Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
                            K & N Air filter
                            Home built forward controls
                            Vulcan Mustang seat
                            A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

Bummer, Craz

it sure looks fatal Glad you weren't tossed off and seriously injured.
                              80G Mini-bagger
                              VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                              79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                              79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                              79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

As hard as it would go, which was about 120kph.
                                Darn, Craz! At least you're okay but I suggested exorcise not exercise!
                                -- Scott
                                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                                1979 XS1100F: parts
                                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X