X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj1100 test run WOW

well guys thanks to you and your help i did a sucsesfull 1,2 gear fix
    clutch install.

i did the first test run WOW great power.
    this bike had 4 into 1 looks like kirker its all chrome, and k&n pods.
    i also did the rick carb cleaning- bench sinced, new plugs new middle and rear drive oil. tranny oil.

bike idles great but if i hit the throtel hard in wants to bog- from 1000-2000 rpm so it just kinda bogs for a sec then bam takes off and everything is good from there, so its just off the line.

i have not sinced the carbs, i cant remember the jets size i wanna say like 120-125
    and 45-50
    i know my xj650 came with 110-40 i think
    so can anyone tell me what jet size i should be running with 4-1 and pods?

if they are good i gues check float height might need mor gas?
    is it the pilot or main that controles low end? if i remember its the needle that does mid?
    i almost have this thing running, i did a 12 mile test ran great except off line if i get on it, also the oil warning comes on and off, i heard thats a common prob, i did notice the oil is a little milky like condensation i cleand the tranny pan and blew it out, i think i will run it for a wile then change oil again
    any help would be great. thanks

Originally posted by jmcmillan40 View Post
    i have not sinced the carbs, i cant remember the jets size i wanna say like 120-125
    and 45-50
    First things first - sync the carbs. THEN worry about changing jets. If, after you sync the carbs and adjust the fuel/air mixture screws, it still is not correct, then you can play with jets. Of course, you'll need a YICS eliminator to do a proper sync though.
    Last edited by CatatonicBug; 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

thanks

ya you would think after my 4th xj i would no how to sinc carbs
      i have read up on it but still unshure

i dont have a carb tune, all my other bikes i cleaned bench sinced
      and they ran great, a sinc would fine tune, but none of them had pods and 4 into 1
      you thin out of sinc would cause it to paws when i hit throtel sound like a lack of fule to me?

Comment

you thin out of sinc would cause it to paws when i hit throtel sound like a lack of fule to me?
        Definitely could cause that. Being even slightly out of sync can cause all sorts of responsiveness issues. You can build a home-made sync gauge out of clear tubing and ATF for less than $10. Remember that what you are syncronizing is the vacuum for each carb that pulls fuel out of the float bowl. If they are not all pulling the same, the engine will not get the proper amount of fuel from all the carbs. Of course, adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws will make a difference too.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

ya you would think after my 4th xj i would no how to sinc carbs
          i have read up on it but still unshure

i dont have a carb tune, all my other bikes i cleaned bench sinced
          and they ran great, a sinc would fine tune, but none of them had pods and 4 into 1
          XJ's are a little different. Due to the vac controlled, voltage varying little switch under the gas tank. The higher you can adjust your vac readings as you adjust the mixture out, the better it runs. Vac is the key. (Due to the electronic timing advance setup XJ's have...)
          CBug's correct about the YICS, too!

I would now say by experience that on an XJ, a high vac reading is almost as critical as good synch! Both are critical, when it comes to making an XJ perform, and especially idle correctly.

Great to hear she's almost there! When you get this little bug ironed out, you'll love it! This was my biggest challenge on my XJ, but once I got it... totally changed the dependability, rideability... the whole attitude of the bike.
          There's also a chart on here that tells what the stock jetting was, you might use it as a base, and play around w/ it a bit from there, due to your mods. A couple of sizes bigger might not hurt anything from stock... but you might not need to do anything w/ jetting once you get the carbs tuned well & synched right.
          Hang in there, sounds like you're close!
          Bob
          Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 06-01-2010, 10:42 AM.
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

you did not say how long you let it warm up first. If your enrichment jets in the bowls are not good and clean it will bog when you try to give it fuel until it warms up well. Sounds alot like that to me when you say it kicks in hard when you reach close to 3k.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

sinc

well i took it on a 12 mile run and when i stoped at a stop sign and got on it after it was pleanty warm it boged of line.
              funny thing is before i did the tranny i was able to test run it a little and this was after i cleaned carbs, and of course
              it rattle in 1st and sliped out of second ie tranny prob but, i dont remember it bogging of the line, but i dint get to test that much.
              i did not clean out the air ful screws though when i cleaned carb i dont like to mess if they are set untill i get evrything cleaned, then if i have problems i count the turnes and clean then re-install then go from there.
              iam sure its eather to much air, or not enough gas, out of sinc.

i no i have the gas lines right, also i did put fule filters on all 4 lines is that to much or should i just have filters on the 2 lines that go down to the carburator?

i do think i will remove carb and clean out one more time, i did not ajust floats eather but i never messed with them, so i dont like to re ajust aless iam haveing a fule problem like gas coming out the carbs.

also i did notice that after test run acouple of my header pipes are realy blue and purple? unspent fule? i will take a look at plugs tomarrow, i havn't looked at them after test ride.

iam close i can feel it. just fine tune
              i will have to look how to sinc i have read up on it a little just confused, i see that you have 4 niples on intake boots so i asume that you take 4 botles, with corks in them and lines into botles and attach lines toto 4 niples on bike, but doesnt each bottle have to have a second line coming out going to ?

Comment

If it were me, once you get those carbs off, check and adjust the floats. Check everything you can check including those mix screws. Assuming it was done right before, will only earn you another trip in. DAMHIKIJK
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                X