New bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike

Just bought a 79 special from a guy here in town. Really I just stole it, only gave a $150 for it. Runs, good paint, 4into1 exhaust, been bored out,good seat cover and back rest. For you guys that came to the rally it is the bike that we were to work on. He did not get back with me because he thought he had to pay to get it fixed , said he did not have the money at the time. He said he has had the bike for 10 years and wants to get a HD. If any of you know of a anniversary model HD that was painted black and silver and a softtail, think he said it was 01,02,03, let me know and I will past the word to him. He said he just came into some extra money.

I know you guys want PICTURES, got to go get it home tommorow afternoon. So now I have a full dress special and a naked one for around town. That makes 6 XS1100 that I have now, just a BAD DISEASE that I have and they say there is NO cure for it.
    Thanks Tom
    82 XJ DAILY RIDE
    78 XS1100E FIXING UP
    79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
    79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
    80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
    82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

So, are you going to do the 2nd gear fix on this one, or do I need to come up there again?

Kinda sad that he decided to pass on the XS, and downgrade to a hardley, but at least it found a good home, and you didn't have to pay much to get it!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

There is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time. Question is, why isn't it me now and then??
      "Do the right thing, even if nobody's looking"

SR500E Black
      XS750SF Carmine Red
      XS1100SF Mustang Red Metalic
      (Bob worked on this one)

Comment

Bike

Went and got bike tonight. Needs battery,master cly for rear, seat pan,front brake light switch, and new tires i think, these are ONLY 10 years old. I rode it home from his house about 3 miles, ran pretty good after it got hot. Does need 2 gear fix, it works till you get on it. I think it has stainless exhaust on it 4 into1. No name on it. Exhaust needs adjusted hits rear axle and sits tight on the bottom of oil pan. Put 1 gallon of fresh gas and about 4 ounces of sea foam in it before i started it. Exhaust has been bottomed out on speed bumps. Will take pictures tommorow in daylight. So if any body has a seat pan, master cly for rear, brakelight switch for front with wire,and a center stand I am looking. This is for a 79 special built 11/78.
        Thanks Tom
        82 XJ DAILY RIDE
        78 XS1100E FIXING UP
        79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
        79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
        82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Sounds like a winner!
          Bothell, WA
          1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Does it not have a rear master cylinder at all? I believe you can get a rebuild kit if you still have the old MC.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Master cly

Yes it has the master cly but it don't work. The plunger just goes in and out like there is no fluid in it, but it is full of fluid. Are the standards the same master cly? If so I have one off the 79F. This bike has sat for the last 2 years.
              Thanks Tom
              82 XJ DAILY RIDE
              78 XS1100E FIXING UP
              79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
              79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
              82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Yes, all the rear MCs are the same. If you already have one, I'd open it up and clean everything really well. (I'd strongly suggest you go through ALL of the brakes completely for cleaning). Pushing with fluid in it but not moving it could be it was just never bled out properly or could be the parts are torn and you need a rebuild kit.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Master cly

Ok will clean out master cly and see what is wrong in there. Yes I will clean out brake system. Been there and done that on my XJ. My main problem is the exhaust hits the frame down tube on the right side then hits the rear of the oil pan, then hits the rear axle shaft. Will pull exhaust to readjust because oil filter will not clear exhaust and have to change oil. I hate 4 into 1 just for this reason, but motor has been set up for this so I guess I will have to live with it. Just got done changing the middle and final drive fluids. Now I have to figure out how to ride BOTH bikes at the same time. Maybe someone can tell me how to mount them together like a side car. LOL
                  Thanks Tom
                  82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                  78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                  79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                  79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                  82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

pics of new bike

[url]http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/COOLTOM/xs1100%201979/

here are the pictures of the new bike. need tires and lic. plates everthing else ready to go...
                    Thanks Tom
                    82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                    78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                    79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                    79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                    82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Nice paint job on the tank. Too bad the rest of it looks so bad!

Here's a link that actually works.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Pictures

CBUG thanks for fixing the pictures. Big Mic set them up for me. I have not learned how to do them yet. What can you expect for $150? PO said paint job cost $600. As long as the paint job is good I can clean the rest of it up. PO put Kaw air shocks on it.
                        You can see on the exhaust where it was rubbing the oil pan. The big rust place on the muffler was where it rubbed the rear axle. Just found out today that he cut the wires to the gas gauge up under the tank. Changed the rear master cly and caliper off the 79F. The rubbers were bad in the master cly and the caliper. Will have to order new parts later. How come you did not come up Sat and fix second gear for me. LOL Have to find a speedometer for it, it does not work and the cable is good. The air box had 12 holes about 5/16 inch drilled in the middle of the filter area, but then they taped them off. So i change the bottom of the air box with a good one. It has 55,000 miles on it but PO said it was bored out at 25,000.
                        Thanks Tom
                        82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                        78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                        79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                        79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                        82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Parts

What is the switch mounted above the coils? It is about 1 inch square and mounted in a rubber mount and has 4 wires going into it. Mine is missing and the wires blue with black stripe and red with yellow stripe have been cut an spliced together. Also what is the switch mounted in the right side cover right in front of the battery? It is about 2 inchs long about 3/4 inch thick mounted in rubber hooked to the frame says 12 volt on it. This is on a 79 SF.
                          Thanks Tom
                          82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                          78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                          79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                          79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                          82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Not sure about the "above the coils" thing. There is a rubber-covered switch that mounts to the rear of the coils, and that's the tipover switch. The long, rectangular one that mounts in front of the battery is the turn signal cancelling unit. Looks like this:

1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I think the one by the coils is where the tip-over switch was located.
                              XJ1100 Ruby Red
                              XS1100LH "Midnight"
                              1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Working...
                              X