No announcement yet.

rear d404's are worthless!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every other bike I've ever ridden had most of their stopping power up front. Not this one - it seems to have a lot more 'stick' in the back than in the front. And it's not that I don't use the front brake. I've had a number of occasions where I was on the front brake so hard the front wheel locked and started 'skipping' across the pavement. And trying to stop this monster without engine braking - forget about it. Anyway, point being, I think we get a lot more action on that rear tire than a lot of other bikes. Add to that the weight, and you've got a pretty good formula for scrubbing the back tire off. I've measured the wear on my rear spitfire, and it looks like it's going to be good for about 7k. 200 miles on a 404 and it's almost worn out!!! Gotta be a defective tire.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

a rear wheel bouncing up and down on
      a rear wheel lock up is always a good cause for flat spots
      on the tyre.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Well, I'd say at this point its probably worth running a lower tire pressure. More side wall flex will allow more wear to the edged of the tire...what ya got to lose?
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          Well, I have a D404 that I have put over 3500 miles on. And it does not look close to end of life yet. No nubs left on it, and it does not show any flatness in the center.
          Same here, I'm running a 130/90-17 on the back with close to 4k on it and it still has got a lot of tread left on it. I keep it at 40 p.s.i.
          My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

just for arguments sake the clymer numbers are very outdated with older tires. the newer tires run higher pressures. and the first set of tires i bought for this bike ran out super fast because i had 26 i nthe front and 30 in the back. i hve been keeping the front around 36 to 38 and they seem fine! as i said i don't peel out no tire squealing at all but i do accelerate very hard and alot but i ease it open then hammer it so there is no squealing.
            i think maybe i had the pressure too high. the shop set it at 36 i think but i think i bumped it up to 40 or so. i forget now???
            thanks for the info...
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Dunlop

I too put 404's on my 79 special. I was wondering if the tire pressure spec's had changed in 30 years so I contacted Dunlop, gave them the weight of the bike, my weight(190lb) and told them the bike cruises at 80-90 mph all day long and asked what the pressure should be. They said that the front should be 30 and the rear 32 PSI. However they also said the 501's and the elite 3's were a better tire for these bikes.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

thats some good info thanx Mack.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Running d404 front and rear. 26 psi front and 30 psi rear. I weigh 190 lbs w/o gear. 1400 miles on the d404's and they look like new still. I tried higher pressures one time to see if it would help with cornering, but it only managed to enhance the slap factor on my ba!!$ riding these wonderfully horrific roads in SE Michigan.
                  '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

rear d404's are worthless

Since I just bought a pair of these, I'm very interested to see what happens.
                    110/90-19 front 130/90-17 rear.
                    I've got a '80G, Windjammer fairing, stock hard bags and the sissy bar/ luggage rack set-up. I probably carry 20-30 lbs of stuff in the bags, and I go 250 lbs. So this bike has more than an average load on it.
                    I'll be running 38-40 psi front and rear. I'll try to be diligent on keeping abreast of how they perform.
                    One noteworthy item; the front tire was $106.00, and the rear $67.00. Kinda the opposite of what I've always paid.
                    A related question. The PO ran this sans bags, and had put a upswept set of mufflers on it. Hence, I had to pull the exhaust to get the wheel off. I put it back together w/o installing new header gaskets. Asking for grief? I haven't ridden it yet. I fired it up, and it seemed OK.

Comment

Originally posted by jamak View Post
                      I put it back together w/o installing new header gaskets. Asking for grief? I haven't ridden it yet. I fired it up, and it seemed OK.
                      Should be fine, no need to replace exhaust gaskets every time after removal.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

[QUOTE=jamak;281727]
                        A related question. The PO ran this sans bags, and had put a upswept set of mufflers on it. Hence, I had to pull the exhaust to get the wheel off. QUOTE]

I think its easier to remove the shocks myself.
                        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

rear d404's are worthless

Thanks Phil. I was hoping that was the case.

And duh! Elevener. I will definitely remember that tip next time, though I don't know off hand how easy it would be to accomplish that solo. I live out in the woods, and don't have too many friends nearby, so I do most everything by myself. That's how I got the fairing removal down pat w/o help.
                          I guess a strategic 2x4 or something could aid this process.
                          In any case, it's a heck of a lot easier than pulling the pipes!
                          Thanks again.

Comment

I use a tie down strap, pretty easy by yourself.
                            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I live out in the woods, and don't have too many friends nearby, so I do most everything by myself.
                              This is a family site, so I'm not going to say it....
                              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Jamak, have bout the same set-up and keep 40-42psi in the 404's. Have run bout everything out there(Metz are my favorite for ride,adhesion)and the 404's seem to be the best bang for the buck. Local Honda dealer here passes them across the counter to me for $73front,$86rear. Have a bit over 2000mi. on them and no sign of adnormal wear going on.
                                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                                X