Alright, Tell me what these means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
    If it's popping on acceleration like you said, it may NOT be a fuel problem.

Have you checked the pickup coils?

Make certain your not having an ignition problem, it can seem JUST like a carb problem.

I pulled and cleaned and adjusted my carbs......? times when I first got my XS thinking that's where the problem was.

I had a pickup coil wire going south that would make it act like a fuel problem.
    Added to my weekend checklist !
    -Eric

82 XJ1100
    Mods:
    Mac 4 to 2 with turn out's

Comment

What kind of temps should I expect ?
      When I check mine with an infrared thermometer they usually run between 220 and 250 degrees, depending on the ambient temperature, measured at the turn-down. When's the last time the carbs were synced?
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
        When I check mine with an infrared thermometer they usually run between 220 and 250 degrees, depending on the ambient temperature, measured at the turn-down. When's the last time the carbs were synced?
        Last year, but not sure how well they were synced by the PO. It's also on my list to check the sync. It feels like I have 4 or 5 things at once that are slightly off and together are making a huge issue....Frustrating...It really sucks cause I would love to ride it down to you guys, but I'm not sure if it would make it right now. I've ridden it on short trips to work and back but don't know how it would do on the long trip.
        -Eric

82 XJ1100
        Mods:

Comment

Also I threw a half of can of seafoam in the tank last night (almost empty) rode it up to the gas station and beat up on it a little to get some down in the carbs. Filled it up with 89 and beat it all the way home. Like I said it was poping on and off the throttle.

The filter pods are on right now, plus the mac 2-1's just as a reminder. according to the po the carbs were jetted, have not confirmed (tearing the carbs apart this weekend to clean and inspect)
          -Eric

82 XJ1100
          Mods:

Comment

Out of sync carbs can do all kinds of weird stuff. If they were synced last year chances are their still pretty close, but I'd still check it. If you've done any work on the carbs, and they weren't re-synced afterward, there's a good chance it's off.

When you're running seafoam through you want to keep the rpms down for most of the tank. That way it will thoroughly clean the low circuit. If you're cranking on it, you're not going to get the full benefit. Then when you get down near the point where you go to reserve, hammer it. And speaking of reserve, it's never a good idea to run on the reserve setting (unless of course you're running out of gas ). Reason being, there are two different tubes that run off your petcocks. When your running in the 'on' position the petcocks are drawing gas from a couple inches up inside the tank. When you switch to reserve it draws from the bottom of the tank - the same place water and debris go to. My dad used to call that 'sucking the dregs out of the tank', and of course that stuff heads straight for the carbs where it works its mischief. Line filters are also pretty much a requirement. Just some more stuff to think about .
            Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have not had to put it in reserve yet (fingers crossed) So I always run in the on position. I have not really done any work on the carbs at all yet. But I still would like to check tem and see if they are out of sync or not.
              -Eric

82 XJ1100
              Mods:

Comment

Several SWOXS members will be at my mancave Sunday for some work on another members bike and general tomfoolery. You're welcome to join us if you can make it. We'll be starting at noon, and usually close up shop around 6 or 7.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                  Several SWOXS members will be at my mancave Sunday for some work on another members bike and general tomfoolery. You're welcome to join us if you can make it. We'll be starting at noon, and usually close up shop around 6 or 7.
                  I would love to, but I want to make sure it will get down there first Hopefully in the next few weeks if you guys are meeting up again, I'll be able to ride it down.
                  -Eric

82 XJ1100
                  Mods:

Comment

I would love to, but I want to make sure it will get down there first
                    Oh sure, do the wise thing . Seriously though, when the weather's warm we get together pretty regularly - just depends on what needs to be done. Holler when you're ready.

Comment

Working...
                    X