Alright, Tell me what these means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, Tell me what these means

Rode up to the gas station tonight and back (less than 3 miles round trip)

Checked the temps on the exhaust (Mac 2-1 turnouts) after about 2-3 min and this is what I got:

1 - 188
    2 - 237
    3 - 249
    4 - 241

I'm guessing I'm running lean on 1 ? What are the normal temps on this thing ?
    -Eric

82 XJ1100
    Mods:
    Mac 4 to 2 with turn out's

Check your plugs, I'll bet your running rich on #1 and that plug is blacker than the others.

Too much fuel will run cooler.

Your not too far off though.

Comment

Greg uses his tongue to tell the temp on his headers....
      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
        Check your plugs, I'll bet your running rich on #1 and that plug is blacker than the others.

Too much fuel will run cooler.

Your not too far off though.
        What kind of temps should I expect ? Am I too lean on the other 3 ? All 4 plugs look dark around the ring, but look tan-ish white.
        -Eric

82 XJ1100
        Mods:

Comment

My guess is those temps are in the normal range. As to no 1 and plug color, color sounds real good on all of them. Perhaps no 1 is only rich at idle. I'd not worry about it if the plugs look consitent and that good, and it feels like its running good.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
            Greg uses his tongue to tell the temp on his headers....
            My tongue is very useful in many ways.........ask your girlfriend!.....LOL....

Comment

My tongue is very useful in many ways.........ask your girlfriend!.....LOL....
              So she has trouble sleeping alot and calls you to talk her to sleep??
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Heh heh heh....well....sometimes we talk.......dirty....LOL...

Comment

Heh heh heh....well....sometimes we talk.......dirty....LOL...
                  Hate to break it to you but we listen to you on speaker phone and mute it when we are laughing our azz off!!!!! Got it on tape too and sell those out of the trunk of the car!
                  http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Like Don said, I think your pretty good.

How does it idle? Maybe try turning that #1 Idle mix screw in just a little.

Start at 1/4 turn and check it again, or if you know someone with a color tune that's the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
                      Hate to break it to you but we listen to you on speaker phone and mute it when we are laughing our azz off!!!!! Got it on tape too and sell those out of the trunk of the car!
                      You sell those tapes at the same time your cruising around in that old car trying to lure little kids in there with you with candy?

I bet those tapes turn you on when you finally get one. Huh?...LOL...

There's a name for people like you in prison.......Mary...

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        My guess is those temps are in the normal range. As to no 1 and plug color, color sounds real good on all of them. Perhaps no 1 is only rich at idle. I'd not worry about it if the plugs look consitent and that good, and it feels like its running good.
                        That's the problem. It pops on accel and decel and does not idle well. it dies when the choke is off. I thought about changing the mix screw, but I'm trying to attack this logically. The plugs are the same that were on the bike when I got it. I'm going to change the plugs this weekend, guess I'll ride it and check em again. Just trying to get a feel for where I'm at.
                        -Eric

82 XJ1100
                        Mods:

Comment

Popping on decel is usually cured by properly adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws (colortune, or by ear). Try that, along with a proper sync, and then check the temps again.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

No 1 pipe

Hey Eric.....you may want to check and see if no. 1 air/fuel screw tip isn't broken off in the carb...I had two! All good info in here!
                            At this time:
                            1985 Goldwing Innr.
                            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                            2007 vtx 1300
                            81 sx 1100 s h
                            81 sx 400 special

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_XJ View Post
                              That's the problem. It pops on accel and decel and does not idle well. it dies when the choke is off. I thought about changing the mix screw, but I'm trying to attack this logically. The plugs are the same that were on the bike when I got it. I'm going to change the plugs this weekend, guess I'll ride it and check em again. Just trying to get a feel for where I'm at.
                              If it's popping on acceleration like you said, it may NOT be a fuel problem.

Have you checked the pickup coils?

Make certain your not having an ignition problem, it can seem JUST like a carb problem.

I pulled and cleaned and adjusted my carbs......? times when I first got my XS thinking that's where the problem was.

I had a pickup coil wire going south that would make it act like a fuel problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X