No announcement yet.

To part or not to part...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What acid is that? I know muriatic acid eats aluminum, and not steel, but I don't know of an acid that does the opposite. I used Muriatic acid to eat the pieces of melted engine case off the crankshaft of my lawn vacuum.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I have to agree with other posts that suggest that you just replace the head outright. With a different head installed you can take your time to repair the original head if you like.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I've not tried this on aluminum before so I can't say if it will work or not, but it works better than any penetrating oil I've ever met and was shown to me by an old school engine builder....
        Heat the affected fastener and immediate surrounding area and melt in some NATURAL beeswax. Hasn't failed me yet. Hard part is finding the real beeswax, I still have a small portion left that I got from a candle shop years ago. I suppose I could find some more at my local apple orchard (they also raise their own bees to polinate the orchard). Best of luck.
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Not something I've heard of but probably worth a shot sometime. You should find genuine beeswax at any saddlery supplies store. It's used extensively in leather finishing and restoration work.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Hey bud, sorry about your run of bad luck. I was reading this thread and tried to put myself in your shoes for a minute. Some times the easiest way takes more time, but for me is worth the elimination of the frustration. If you step back a second, You know it is already broke. You may get the rest out or may break more. You may get the piece out with heat and penetrating oil or wax, or might have to drill and tap. You may decide to just swap the head, and fix the other head later. But even though it is more work, pulling the motor will make anything that you attempt to do, go allot smother for you.
            JMHO. Wish you were closer, I would gladly give you a hand. Don't give up. You will get it.
            1980 xs1100g mostly. "Adrenalize - the Yamaha I always wanted to be able to order"

Modified frame, side covers, seat, back rest, engine, carbs, airbox, hoses, headlight assembly, turn signals, mirriors, handle bars, grips, v rated tires, gauges, homemade 4-2 exhaust system, leather upholstery, custom paint including True Fire Flames air brush work. A 25 year dream realizied.

"It ain't braggin if you can do it" Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              What acid is that? I know muriatic acid eats aluminum, and not steel, but I don't know of an acid that does the opposite. I used Muriatic acid to eat the pieces of melted engine case off the crankshaft of my lawn vacuum.
              Hi 'Bug,
              muriatic acid is HCl, hydrochloric acid. I understand that the acid that eats steel but not aluminum is HNO3, Nitric acid.
              Took me years to realize what Anne McCaffrey's "Agenothree" actually was.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The engine doesn't take long at all to remove. You can't properly drill/tap with the motor in the frame.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                X