Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been a lot of discussion on flaky fuse panels for the XS. Where can I find good one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to your PM, Private Message, panel and send a note to TopCatGR.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Having just purchased an '81 XS1100H that was sitting garaged for an extended period of time, is swapping out the fuse panel for a new one something I should consider to do to proactively avoid future issues, seeing as how it does not sound overly expensive?
      1981 XS1100H "Venturer"

Comment

I would say yes. I rode my bike about 4 times before I realized I was having fuse block related problems
        Originally posted by grahamfam3 View Post
        Having just purchased an '81 XS1100H that was sitting garaged for an extended period of time, is swapping out the fuse panel for a new one something I should consider to do to proactively avoid future issues, seeing as how it does not sound overly expensive?
        1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by grahamfam3 View Post
          Consider it a serious step forward in preventative maintenance.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by cheezy View Post
            for us new guys, how do we get in touch with tc?
            Click on "Private Messages" in the top RH corner, under your name...
            Click on "Send new message", type in TopCatGr... as you type in the first few letters, a drop down box appears, and you should see it.... click on it.

Then type a PM to him.... he'll get back w/ ya.
            HTH's ya.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Hey, Suckerpunch,

I haven't noticed what your bike model is... (you can update your signature and add that, then we don't have to ask, and know how to better help you...)

If you have an XJ, it's a little trickier to get TC's fusepanel behind the sidecover. I know the trick, and it turns out great... so if you have an XJ, let me know.
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I've replaced the fuse block on four XS1100 bikes to date. All 1980 or 81 models, and every one of them either was entirely missing any fuses (yes, you gotta love POs) or had at least one of the glass fuse block holders break or come apart.

IMHO, upgrading the fuse block is almost as required as cleaning the brake system. I would not buy another XS1100 that has not had it replaced without ordering one from TC the same day I decide to buy.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Alternative method is to use a gang type fuse box from auto parts store. The 3 fuses on the left are for the lights, signals, and the ignition. The main is in the inline holder, the 3 right ones are spares.

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                  X