Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been a lot of discussion on flaky fuse panels for the XS. Where can I find good one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a lot of discussion on flaky fuse panels for the XS. Where can I find good one?

I have the stock glass type fuse panel. They are corroded and all worn out. I found a new replacement panel on ebay but, Its the same, just new and not really better. Members keep referring to a "spade fuse panel" but I have yet to find any on line.

Any links for this spade type? Any other ideas?
    1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Contact TopCatGR here. He sells the best ATC replacements for the cheapest price available. He can also hook you up w/ the 90 insulated slide terminals, too. That's what I did... they're good fuse panels, and ya get 6 circuits, instead of just 4 for other things later on you might want to add.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I agree completely with the fuse box TC sells. I have installed four of them to date. They have six fuse spaces, so more than needed for our bikes. Ok, just enough if you choose to use the aux and main fuse in this box on the later models. IT is a little trickier to get it to fit for the XJ models, but simple on the XS. For the price, you can not possibly beat it IMO.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

As for my time line Im going to fallow this thread. It looks pretty clean and easy. I just bought the parts. I agree the spades would be cleaner but, are they really better? I mean my bike is a 1980 and this is its first fuse panel update.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18573

Please keep the comments coming.

SP
        1980 XS1100 SG

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

Dont forget to read further down that thread to where Scott says he's going to change out his modded fuse block in favour of the spade fuse block.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Replace it with one of TC's spade sealed boxes! You will thank yourself sooner than later!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Trust us, they are better. They are more common which means they are easier to find/replace, and IMO they are easier to read if they are broken. Plus, you can cary a few spared in the empty slots...
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

well I will go spade soon. This way was available to me now. The good news is I have already crimped the flag connectors so, just a quick switch over to the spade fuse block when ready.
                1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Understand timing can be critical. Why not go ahead and order the fuse box from TC now and it will also be ready when you are.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Update

A FREAKING COMPLETE WAIST OF TIME AND MONEY!!!!

That damn fuse block broke the second I put the first fuse in

lesson learned.
                    1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

As everyone was trying to tell you, the new spade type fuse block works. The problem with the old block you tried to put in is that it's still 30 Years OLD! The plastic has gone bad, as it will do after 30 years. It's kind of a hard lesson, but I hope it wasn't too much money for the block. Any of the metal parts I have no problem with getting NOS (New Old Stock). Rubber or plastic parts I try to find a replacement that will work, or can be made to work.
                      Order a block from TC, and next weekend you should be riding and happy. Oh, and don't forget to clean ALL the connections, including all the ground wires. That will also make a difference on the electrical.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        As everyone was trying to tell you, the new spade type fuse block works. The problem with the old block you tried to put in is that it's still 30 Years OLD! The plastic has gone bad, as it will do after 30 years. It's kind of a hard lesson, but I hope it wasn't too much money for the block. Any of the metal parts I have no problem with getting NOS (New Old Stock). Rubber or plastic parts I try to find a replacement that will work, or can be made to work.
                        Order a block from TC, and next weekend you should be riding and happy. Oh, and don't forget to clean ALL the connections, including all the ground wires. That will also make a difference on the electrical.
                        well, it was the new block that broke. The old 30 y/o block (now backing plate) is fine. It was a good write up, just didn't work for me. I wanted to ride tomorrow was the only reason for this repair. Yes, lesson learned. I PM'd TC and waiting for a response.

Thanks all
                        1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Made contact with TC. $10.00 includes block and all conectors. Thats half the $ of my attempt

Order made.
                          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

If you really want to ride tomorrow, go to the parts store and buy four of the "replacement" single spade fuse holders. You can run those for now, and put TC's in once you get it. I have one bike that just has the four, and it has no problems. I just think the one TC has found is a nicer looking replacement, and will be getting one for my midnight late fall.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

for us new guys, how do we get in touch with tc?
                              1981 xs1100 midnight special
                              1983 750 midnight maxim
                              resurrected:
                              1977 goldwing
                              1980 cb750
                              North central Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
                              X