my forks seem soft, do yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suckerpunch View Post
    anybody know where I can find this tool?
    I was at Walmart today and saw something just like this in their section for 2 cycle motors. They market it for measuring the right amount of oil to mix with gas, so it seems it would be just what you want. I think it was $3-4.
    1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
    2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

cool. thanks

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
      I was at Walmart today and saw something just like this in their section for 2 cycle motors. They market it for measuring the right amount of oil to mix with gas, so it seems it would be just what you want. I think it was $3-4.
      1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

Back in the day we would use an old baby bottle to measure fork oil. Most of them were calibrated in CC's...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Not quite Geezer,

Ever look at a cage tire with bad shocks? Both situations can lead to cupping or uneven wear.
          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

That tool

You can get some up to 150cc at your local vet. They may not even charge you and the tip should be the same.
            Last edited by jmnjrpa; 05-15-2010, 10:21 PM. Reason: added
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

True, but highly unlikely unless tire is out of round or severly out of balance. Theres alot of other factors that enter into the equation, specially today using radials on our newer bikes. Radials likely not being used here, but is just an added factor on our newer bikes. LACK of a fork brace on the XS's combined with NOT using tire manufacturer's reccomended max. pressures along with heavy front braking and tire cord design and configuration WILL cause cupping on the front tire. If it would pertain to this thread and not a hi-jack, I can give you results of addressing three of those four areas with a NEW tire as each area was addressed.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

In 30 years of running ATF in my forks, I've never had a front tire cup. Then again, I also balance my tires.

One thing that cinched it for me when when the companies that sold fork oil started offering an ATF weight. You need to tune the fork oil to how you ride and ATF has always worked for me.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

well im not about to get into a debate about
                  tyre wear and suspension, theres plenty of informative
                  stuff on the net.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                  X