How to lock the bike........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lock the bike........

Does anyone know the correct way to lock the xs1100 , I turn my handlebars to the side and then i insert the ignition key and try to turn it to lock it but nothing happens , i had a honda once and it locked similarly , so i know how it should work but it's not working, i inserted the ignition key and pushed down and it goes down but i can't turn it to lock. Maybe someone has input ( no pun intended) on this.

I dont think you have to hold the key pushed into the lock. Just push the key in all the way, let go, turn the handle bars left, and turn the key left... Should do the trick... Gotta watch out you dont walk away with the running lights on though...
    Last edited by WMarshy; 05-14-2010, 02:50 PM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
      I dont think you have to hold the key pushed into the lock. Just push the key in all the way, let go, turn the handle bars left, and turn the key.
      I thought it was to the right ?. On the XJ the lock is on the left side of the frame near the forks. Easier to get to by turn the bars to the right.

Not sure on the XS, thought they were the same in that regard.
      -Eric

82 XJ1100
      Mods:
      Mac 4 to 2 with turn out's

Comment

On the XS the bar lock is part of the regular ignition to start the bike...not on the neck. Its been a long time since Ive used it but IIRC you dont need to keep the key depressed into the lock when you turn it... There are two stages when you turn it counter clockwise, I think lock then Lock+running light.
        Last edited by WMarshy; 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The lock that is built into the ignition switch can be activated by turning the handlebars either full-right OR full-left. Then, using the key in the ignition switch in the OFF position, press the key down into the switch, so it depresses past the face of the swtich. Then, while releasing slowly, turn to the LEFT. That will cause the metal peg to emerge from the bottom of the switch, and lock the steering head in the direction it is turned.

Wmarshy is correct about the lights. Be careful not to turn the key all the way to the left, or that will leave the tail lights on and drain your battery!
          Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I knew it was some funky combination of depressing it and turning it counter clockwise.... They are about as complicated as a chineese finger trap. Once you do it right you wont forget it.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

Comment

Working...
            X