you gotta be kidding me (crank seal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you gotta be kidding me (crank seal)

I've been waiting for a week for my left side (ignition side) crank seal (oil seal)and now bike bandit is telling me they're unavailable. I mangled the last one getting it out and its the last thing I need to ride my xs. where do you guys get your seals from and/or can someone give me the dimensions of that seal?Any help would be appreciated.

I recently redid mine. Got mine from the local Yamaha dealer. Both sides.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by boediddly View Post
      I've been waiting for a week for my left side (ignition side) crank seal (oil seal)and now bike bandit is telling me they're unavailable. I mangled the last one getting it out and its the last thing I need to ride my xs. where do you guys get your seals from and/or can someone give me the dimensions of that seal?Any help would be appreciated.
      You call all the local Yamaha shops? If they didnt have one they might be able to tell you what the dimensions are... If they do have it and it seems expensive you could still try to get the dimensions and do a cross ref to find one..?
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I actually got this same seal from bike bandit 6 months ago but I needed a new one now the all the dealerships are telling me its discontinued but one parts place can look it up by dimensions

Comment

If you haven't split the cases, you'll never get the factory type "lipped" seal in there. Without splitting the cases, a standard 32X48X8 seal from a bearing house (no lip) will work for you.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

most

of the seals are available at a good bearing house. In most cases +/-1MM in width won't hurt. Also they are a lot cheaper than from the bike shops or yamarobbers.

Check here http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/index.php for sizes and give your locals a call!
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I just got some double lip seals from CPC bearings in wichita KS. If you'd like I can order in another one and ship it to you or you can call them. Should be able to google their number. They are on Old Lawrence Road. The seal was roughly $3.50
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

gonna order them from cpc thanks guys

Comment

Boediddly,

BikerPhil's correct about the lip on the seal...
                  But, there's a couple of ways to do it w/o splitting cases that work just as well:
                  1) Grind the outer lip portion down on a bench grinder smooth w/ the rest of the outer diameter, apply a good sealer... (I used Yamabond) and it'll tap right in w/ no leaks.

2) I've been told you can simply flip the seal around and it'll still work, but I haven't tried this method.

I have tried method 1 w/ no problems.

I had to do this for the LH (timing cover) side. The Yamaha seal for that side had the lip. I've also recently replaced the RH side (alternator) seal from Yamaha as well... it had NO LIP on that side. The 2 seals had 2 different item #'s, too.

Also, another notorious place for an oil leak on the RH side is below the alternator... oil galley plug has an O ring there. There is a thread, do a search for 'oil galley plug'... important tips and a good mod Trbig describes as well.
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                  X