Does anybody have.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have.....

Does anybody have a real clean crisp picture of how a master cylinder rebuld kit fits back together?

Im having a problem with online guides being to fuzzy. The main problem is with the spring and the cup. I think they are on backwards.

1980 xs1100sg
    Last edited by Suckerpunch; 05-13-2010, 09:06 AM.
    1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

I just did mine... no pics, but I can tell you how it fits.

The return spring is tapered, and has a metal 'cap' on the small end. The big end goes into the bore first. The rubber cup goes in next, with the open end towards the spring; the flat side is against the plunger. Plunger next, then the c-clip, then the seal/boot.

One thing to check before assembly is to make sure the plunger moves freely in the bore. It takes very little corrosion to cause this to hang up, so I've honed the bore. A piece of wood dowling with a slit cut in it and some folded sandpaper (400-600 grit) works well.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

ok, you have found my problem! I had the spring and cap backwards.

Thanks for the very clear post.

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

The return spring is tapered, and has a metal 'cap' on the small end. The big end goes into the bore first. The rubber cup goes in next, with the open end towards the spring; the flat side is against the plunger. Plunger next, then the c-clip, then the seal/boot.

One thing to check before assembly is to make sure the plunger moves freely in the bore. It takes very little corrosion to cause this to hang up, so I've honed the bore. A piece of wood dowling with a slit cut in it and some folded sandpaper (400-600 grit) works well.

'78E original owner
      1980 XS1100 SG

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

I do have a flat washer I think goes in between the plunger and c-clip?

'78E original owner
        1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Not sure if your talkin about the rear or front master... but on the rear master there is a thin flat washer under the seal. It goes, spring, 'cap', seal, washer, piston body. Place them in the bore, lube the bore and seal with some fluid so they slide in nice, then there is a washer that has a slot in it, slip that around the piston body once its in the bore and then put on the circlip.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by Suckerpunch View Post
            I do have a flat washer I think goes in between the plunger and c-clip?
            You're right... I forgot about that.

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

sorry, front master.

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
              Not sure if your talkin about the rear or front master... but on the rear master there is a thin flat washer under the seal. It goes, spring, 'cap', seal, washer, piston body. Place them in the bore, lube the bore and seal with some fluid so they slide in nice, then there is a washer that has a slot in it, slip that around the piston body once its in the bore and then put on the circlip.
              1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

It was pointed out but, I assume you too are talking about the front master?

You're right... I forgot about that.

'78E original owner
                1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by Suckerpunch View Post
                  It was pointed out but, I assume you too are talking about the front master?
                  Yes...
                  The rear is harder to 'mis-assemble', but Marshy covered that. The main thing to remember on any hydraulic system is the 'open' or 'flared' side of the seal/cup goes towards the pressure side of the system.

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Tom on the UK site has just posted up some clear drawings of the XS parts. Looks like it's from Holland or Belgium.
                    http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...5.msg69481#new

Comment

Working...
                    X