Checking the plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking the plugs

I apologize for the bad phone pics, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on my plugs color.

I'm thinking I might be a touch lean all around, they look more white to me then tan. What say the gurus?
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

yes it does look lean too me....but I tend to run mine on the rich side....might be my monitor to your phone pics tho too....is it me or does the third pic / plug straight white??
    1981 xs1100sh ( new project )
    1978 kz650sr
    God is great...Beer is good....people are frikkin crazy!!!

Comment

Screwy phone pics, they're all about that white.
      Mike C
      Lake Orion, Michigan
      '78 XS1100E

Comment

Pics are a bit grainy. If they are white white then it is running lean, especially if the electrode is deteriorating as one of them looks to have happening.

If it is a grey color and no damage to electrode, that is more normal.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I seem to post this vid a lot... Its a good one.
          The color of the insulator does not indicate your mixture, only the "base ring" around the insulator at the very end of the threads. All look like you are getting plenty of fuel. And you can read the heat range on the "tang" or ground to the electrode. NGK has some good information about reading plugs also. Its worth taking a look.
          Last edited by WMarshy; 05-11-2010, 10:01 AM.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Highway riding using unleaded gas will cause them to look lean. If it runs good and doesn't pop on decel I'd call it good. #3 looks a little lean compared to the other 3. Check the fuel level and or mixture screw.
            Last edited by Winterhawk; 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM. Reason: added text
            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Originally posted by Winterhawk View Post
              Highway riding using unleaded gas will cause them to look lean. If it runs good and doesn't pop on decel I'd call it good. #3 looks a little lean compared to the other 3. Check the fuel level and or mixture screw.
              Thanks for the video Marshy, I'm looking at it now.
              It does pop a bit on decel, that an earmark of running a little lean? I'm going to have to search on what to do if it is lean apparently.

After watching video: Hmm, I do have some pop on decel, but according to that video I may be rich more then anything. Curiouser and curiouser.
              Last edited by Fix; 05-11-2010, 02:44 PM.
              Mike C
              Lake Orion, Michigan
              '78 XS1100E

Comment

A pop is different from a back fire... I know mine runs a little lean b/c below 55 degrees F, mine has no power untill about 4000 rpm, it pops and sputters like when I open the throttle. Usually I end up running it on half choke on cold days, at least to get'er off the line... Either case, ya just have to back the mix screw out some. Im going to try a 1/4 turn at a time and test it...
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                X