No announcement yet.

In-Line Fuel Filters. What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy - that makes a lot of sense - I use seafoam and acetone on a regular basis. I assumed it was heat, but you're probably right. One thing's for sure - the metal ones don't exhibit that problem .
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Well, I ordered 4 at 2 bucks apiece. While Im certainly not going to run them on the bike, Ill try one on the lawnmower.

I use no additives in either. But now I dont know if I will ever put them on the bike. They sure would fit nice.

And no, I was only going to use two at a time I just ordered 4.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I get VW Bug fuel filters from the local air cooled VW shop for less than 2 bucks each. I replace them every couple years and I've never had a problem with them. I find the fuel lines rot before the filters go bad and I replace fuel lines and filters every couple years for good measure...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

In my case I had bought 3 or 4 of the filters for use on my bike as replacements, and also general use for lawnmower etc.

I hadn't put one on my bike, but had just replaced the fuel tank on my Craftsman riding mower...so I replaced the fuel hose and filter at the same time.

The filter was installed in a place away from heat. I finished it and test ran it in the evening (no fuel additives) and then shut it down to wait until the next day to mow the lawn.

I got about halfway done with the lawn the next day and happened to look down to my right and see fuel all over the side of the mower and pouring onto the ground, so I shut it off and stepped away.

I opened the hood and yanked the line loose from the filter, raised the line up and wedged it into a spot between the tank and bodywork to stop the leakage.

When I looked at the filter it was severely deformed as if it had melted.

I replaced it with a another brand of plastic filter specifically for the application...no problems since.

In no way would I ever trust those filters on anything I own again.
          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

RE: Mikes filters

check this out: http://650wiki.org/index.php/15._Par...ion_of_Quality

and this is the original thread about the filters: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ikesxs+filters

Mine looked a lot like Bikerphil's.

I don't know if they just had a bad batch of them, or if they are all like that. I do know mine didn't melt from engine heat, it was mounted below the level of the right cylinder in open air.

Some have used them without problems.

Mine went in the trash...
            Last edited by Guy_b_g; 05-09-2010, 02:23 PM.
            Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I never thought about crossing the lines from one side to the other. I will probably go to napa and get some of the metal filters tomorrow and cross my lines.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

A wix 33027 is the same thing, so any place that handles wix filters might be a source too. Make sure the fuel flow arrows are pointed in the right direction. For some reason when I put new filters on I usually put them on backwards first. I don't know if the crossed lines get me confused or what, I'm just sayin' .
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I am usually pretty good about following arrows but we will see tomorrow!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep, don't trust those Mixesxs filters, they're junk. Don't need any fires.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                      I run the Napa FL 3027's on my '79 standard. (snippage) Also, the napas use a metal screen element as opposed to paper. Paper elements do not like water, and if they absorb water from the gas they'll plug up pretty quick. Here's what the napas (made by wix) look like -

They are identical to the Frams.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                      X