No announcement yet.

In-Line Fuel Filters. What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Line Fuel Filters. What do you use?

What kind of fuel filters do you use. I cant seem to find any small enough to fit in between the petcocks and the car T without putting tight bends in the fuel lines.

Nathan
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

I use a couple of these......

Lawn mower filters..............

Right up a couple inches from the octy. If your not running the octy they will fit pretty easily if you run the lines from the left petcock to the right carbs (3 4) and the right petcock to the left carbs (1 2)

Comment

Hi Natemoen,
      There you go. Complete answer in one post within 15 minutes What a site!
      Thanks XSOKieSpecial
      Maxim Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Nothing. There are screens in the towers of the petcocks. Unless they fell out, in which case, you probably don't have reserve. Anything that makes it through the float valve in the carbs will most likely settle to to bottom of the bowl.

I think the PO put screens on my 79, which I haven't removed yet, since they haven't caused a problem. But if I ever replace the lines, they are gone.

Usually the first contaminate based failure on these is the idle jets getting plugged. From the dozen or so sets I have seen its usually that brown gunk from the gas drying out over time that builds up and causes them to plug. On one of the bikes we were working on in KC last weekend, the gunk had gotten all the way into the needle seats. Kinda looked like sand, but was more like paraffin wax when rubbed between the fingers. So, long story short, its usually the dissolved solids in the gasoline that gunk up the carbs from my experience. No filter is going to catch that.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Well Ivan......

You'll either blow the engine or crash the bike before a problem arises anyway.

NOPE......we aren't gonna let up.

Comment

Well, Greg, that's cause I don't ride like grandma.

Still amazes me that we have thirty year old bikes that we can thrash around mercilessly and they just keep going. Still nothing like them on the road.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
              Well, Greg, that's cause I don't ride like grandma.

Still amazes me that we have thirty year old bikes that we can thrash around mercilessly and they just keep going. Still nothing like them on the road.
              Agreed Bro'

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                Hi Natemoen,
                There you go. Complete answer in one post within 15 minutes What a site!
                Thanks XSOKieSpecial
                Maxim Phil
                Ok.....now that's taken care of it's HIJACK TIME.............

What have you wrecked THIS week Ivan?

Comment

I cant seem to find any small enough to fit in between the petcocks and the car T without putting tight bends in the fuel lines.

Not sure about the routing if you're still using that spaghetti looking mess with the octo, but either way, you may be able to run the lines from one petcock side to the opposite carb T. This puts a much more gradual loop into the line and may give you the room you're looking for to get a filter in there.

Don't listen to Ivan about no filters. When you have to take carbs off every other week due to blowing up a motor or crashing, there's not time to gunk a set up.

I don't know which is worse though.. having to remove them for his reasons, or having to remove them because you tried to BURN that crud out of them..

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have been using none also, but just ordered these from mikes

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Elevener, those look like a good option. A lot of times, thos filters need to be either between the intake boots, or pod filters, and being flat, they'd fit a lot better than the round filters.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I like the looks of those also. How much $ did they cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post

There's a thread about those filters . There wasn't anything much good said about them. Many experienced them leaking shortly after using them. Be careful using those filters.
                          BDF Special
                          80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                          Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

I run the Napa FL 3027's on my '79 standard. Fuel lines are crossed under the tank, and I have found that the metal filters hold up better than plastic. I had two different type of plastic filters that I tried - both types were deformed by the heat. They still worked, I just didn't like the way they looked. Also, the napas use a metal screen element as opposed to paper. Paper elements do not like water, and if they absorb water from the gas they'll plug up pretty quick. Here's what the napas (made by wix) look like -

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally Posted by Elevener
                              They melt...not from the heat either...from the gas (or the ethanol in it).

I nearly burnt up my riding mower using one.
                              Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Working...
                              X