Throttle lock/Cruise control ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joceiphus View Post
    P-U-S-S-S-S-Y you ain't got no aliby you pussy, you pussy, you puss-puss-puss-puss-pussy!!
    WTF is THAT all about?

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      I actually don't like the JCW version, because it puts a bar across in front of the right controls, limiting access to the start button. It's just too bulky IMO. The Vista one is nice and slim, and fits into the tiny space already there between the grip and the right control housing. I had to trim down the rubber flange on my right grip by about 1/2", but once it was installed, you'd never know it wasn't always there.
      I just had to throw in my two cents again. I have the version available at JCW. There is a bar that does get installed across the switch assembly, however if properly installed it isn't in the way. I have seen several people install them where the "locking" lever is actually on top, as in 90 degrees from where the instructions state. I could never understand why they would put it on this way as its would make it awkward to engage. I guess people do this maybe to get that bar outta their way as this is an universal item that works on many bikes. It works for me.

Lanny
      1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Alot of people use the Vista Cruise and seem to love them. I had one that I had a real hard time getting to adjust correctly so I was less than impressed with it. I traded it for one that is the style of the JCW the cbug pictured but all metal construction. Mounted correctly the bar does not get in the way of the starter button and it is very solid. That style does take about 1/2 inch from the lenght of your throttle grip though.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I've got both a throttle lock AND a Throttle Rocker on mine.

http://www.throttlerocker.com/

Gripping the throttle all the time puts my hand to sleep also... especially my outer two fingers. 95% of the time I use the throttle or this Throttle Rocker that I can just rest the butt of my hand on. Usually, the only time I use the throttle lock is when I need to just put my hand down at my side a minute and shake some blood back into my arm and hand.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

That's what I'm thinkin' too Tod. I think I'll get both.

I gotta take my hand off the throttle and shake a little feeling back into it every so often but I end up at about 30MPH before it's over.

Comment

I have the thing that Kuryakyn makes for the end of their grips, and it works ok. I have the thin Yamaha specific Vista cruise, and it works ok. What I really want is this. Pricey, but it would be easier to sleep on the bike with out having to make all those pesky throttle adjustments.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yup....

Then you could set it, forget it, put your feet up on the forks and text all you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                  .... I gotta take my hand off the throttle and shake a little feeling back into it every so often......
                  Hmmm... now thats a statement you need to be careful with.....
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I said.......

my HAND AH...........LOL.......

Comment

Out of the way and second nature to use...
                      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                        I have one that is very similar, got it from fleabay, with the grips
                        except I have the bar in front and above the start button
                        very handy lock it down, and shake the hand back to life.....

I'll need to move the bar when I complete a project I have in mind but it shouldn't be much different
                        1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                        "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                        My Photo Bucket

Comment

I need to get something so my arm doesn't feel like it's gonna fall off after an hour or two.

Since I'm an extreme cheap azz I've been looking at the cheapest of the cheap.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/cruise-cont...41&zmap=273965

HOLY CRAP!.....some of those things are $150 +!

Input?
                          Greg, if you want one of these, send me $5.25 for postage and I'll send you the one off my parts bike. How well do these work? Well, I've ran them on a couple of bikes and they're only useful IMO for giving your hand a break. As a 'cruise control', they only work decent if you're on flat ground (which may work for you). Get any uneven ground with ups/downs and they'll drive you crazy with the varying speeds. One other downside; on these bikes, you have to cut the 'flange' off the rubber grip to fit the 'slip ring', so if you decide you don't like it, you have to replace the grip.

I'm with Ivan; I'd love a 'real' cruise control, but between the cost and figuring out where to mount the bits, it probably won't happen...

'78E original owner
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well, I have offered a couple of times to send him my spare for free, and he hasn't replied to my emails. I guess he really does want one of those $150 ones...
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Since I'm an extreme cheap azz I've been looking at the cheapest of the cheap.
                              I think I got you beat on cheapazz. Just tap the existing hole in the bottom of your throttle housing and thread in a thumb knob, like on a Harley. I use it sometimes, but mostly for letting the bike warm up with no choke.

2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X