Throttle lock/Cruise control ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle lock/Cruise control ?

I need to get something so my arm doesn't feel like it's gonna fall off after an hour or two.

Since I'm an extreme cheap azz I've been looking at the cheapest of the cheap.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/cruise-cont...41&zmap=273965

HOLY CRAP!.....some of those things are $150 +!

Input?

Might try a crampbuster.

www.crampbuster.com

they're cheap and really take a load off of your hands, which lessens the strain on the arms...at least for me. Plus, lifetime guarantee. I picked one up for 5 on closeout at the local shop.
    1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
    2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Greg, I've got one of those exact same kits on my honda shadow and it works great! I tried that velcro paddle looking thing that wraps around your throttle grip and uses the palm of your hand designed to maintain your throttle position. That kinda worked ok. I still had the trouble of my hand and arm wanting to go numb (back problems), etc because your still putting a strain on your wrist.

I installed that throttle lock you found and love it! It took a quick second to fine tune it but it truly does work great. I can set it and take my hand completely off the grip and let it rest for a minute.

I bought mine at a local bike shop and it ran me about $35 bucks. I hope this helps.

Lanny
      1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
        Might try a crampbuster.

www.crampbuster.com

they're cheap and really take a load off of your hands, which lessens the strain on the arms...at least for me. Plus, lifetime guarantee. I picked one up for 5 on closeout at the local shop.
        Thats the name I was thinking about......Crampbuster. It didn't work so well for me. Just my two cents.

Lanny
        1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

I will admit that I have yet to take it for more than 20 minutes since I got it this week, but it sure felt good for those 20.
          1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
          2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

I have a rubber version of a crampbuster, called a Throttle Boss. I didn't like how big the crampbuster is, so the small profile appealed to me. Plus, it was only $13.

AND I have the Vista Cruise control (actually just a throttle lock). It was $25.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Yea Dale, I looked at the cramp buster and it looks like it would be OK for short runs where you had to slow down and speed up a lot and it's cheap enough I might just get one because I can.

lwburnham......I see your fairly new to the forum.......welcome, your in the right place.

That is the kind of positive input I was looking for. I think I'll get one.

However......If this thing doesn't work we will attack you like a bunch of wild ravenous dogs and devour you in an unforgiving deluge of biting negative comments..........................JOKES..........not really.

Comment

Greg,
                I have the throttle locks Bug showed on his post and they work great. I'm even able to lay back against the sissybar/backrest for a little while and stretch my back. But for the extra $5 the JCWhitney ones really look nicer.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                  Yea Dale, I looked at the cramp buster and it looks like it would be OK for short runs where you had to slow down and speed up a lot and it's cheap enough I might just get one because I can.

lwburnham......I see your fairly new to the forum.......welcome, your in the right place.

That is the kind of positive input I was looking for. I think I'll get one.

However......If this thing doesn't work we will attack you like a bunch of wild ravenous dogs and devour you in an unforgiving deluge of biting negative comments..........................JOKES..........not really.
                  Wild ravenous dog attacks.......well sh*t......I'll set the traps out again - Thanks for the warning!!!
                  1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

I actually don't like the JCW version, because it puts a bar across in front of the right controls, limiting access to the start button. It's just too bulky IMO. The Vista one is nice and slim, and fits into the tiny space already there between the grip and the right control housing. I had to trim down the rubber flange on my right grip by about 1/2", but once it was installed, you'd never know it wasn't always there.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Is that one y'all easy to operate? Seems to me the Vista Cruise would be easier with just a thumb.

Comment

the bottom throttle lock that bug showed,
                        comes standard with my 81 rh, so i can assume
                        this wasnt fitted on the bikes in the states.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                          the bottom throttle lock that bug showed,
                          comes standard with my 81 rh, so i can assume
                          this wasnt fitted on the bikes in the states.
                          You sure about that?? The parts fische does not show it as a stock item. Something tells me the PO may have fitted one on yours, and it just LOOKS like it belongs there.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

P-U-S-S-S-S-Y you ain't got no aliby you pussy, you pussy, you puss-puss-puss-puss-pussy!!
                            Joe

78XS1100

Comment

CB,
                              You could be right, i just checked on my parts
                              bike and theres not one fitted to it, but i thought i remembered
                              reading somewhere that it was a stock feature for my
                              model bike, so now im not too sure.
                              pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots
                              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X