New guy with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with a question

First off let me say this site is a GOLDMINE !

I just traded my 82 XJ650 Maxim for an 82 XJ1100 and had a question.

When I start the bike I hear alot of chatter from the top end of the motor. From what I've read so far it sounds like the valves need adjusted. My question is how tough of a job is this to tackle ? The bike has 29,xxx on it and I don't have a life history on the bike, just what the PO has done to it since he picked it up last year so I'm not sure if they have ever been adjusted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric
    -Eric

82 XJ1100
    Mods:
    Mac 4 to 2 with turn out's

It's moderately difficult and sort of messy. Pay close attention to doing it correctly so you don't damage youre engine. It requires a special tool that isn't very expensive. Follow the procedures in the repair manual so you don't damage your engine. Not that I've ever bent an exhaust valve doing it wrong!

Comment

loose chain maybe

your cam chain mite be loose and should be adjusted. if you feel/hear a slight delay in engine throttle and engine response that is usually a good sign the chain is loose.
      testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

That's what I was thinking too, cam chain.

Be sure and follow the procedure outlined in the manual or you could end up with a worse mess.

Comment

Ditto - cam chain

Adjust this first. often neglected by non-mech rider types.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the clearances usually close up on this type valve train design?
          I thought I have valve noise too, and found mine were on the lower end of the adjustment tolerance.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G Lowered, 4-2 , Pods , Jets
          1973 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - almost original
          1973 Plymouth Duster - nothing original

Comment

Thanks guys ! I'll check that out first and see if she quiets down a little.
            -Eric

82 XJ1100
            Mods:
            Mac 4 to 2 with turn out's

Comment

Originally posted by b1lock View Post
              It requires a special tool that isn't very expensive.
              Not necessarily true. Many folks love that tool, but many also despise it, and don't use it at all. The manual calls for it, but it can be done without the tool.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                Not necessarily true. Many folks love that tool, but many also despise it, and don't use it at all. The manual calls for it, but it can be done without the tool.
                It's really quite easy to use if you take the time to learn how to use it.

Loosening the cam bearings is scary on so many different levels. Especially if you don't get the clearances right the first time.

Comment

It's really quite easy to use if you take the time to learn how to use it.
                  Learning to use it, and having one that's DESIGNED right are two different things. The one I bought from Motion Pro is a complete piece of junk and won't work without modification. THEN, even if you find one that works correctly, you turn your motor until the cam lobe pushes the valve all the way open, use the tool to lock it in place there, then rotate your motor (Meaning.. move your pistons up and down with a valve held wide open..) while you rotate the cam lobe out of the way.

Some may be scared to loosen the cam caps, but that scenario using the tool personally scares me more.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Welcome to ch11, Eric. I borrowed a valve tool from a friend, and was actually considering buying it from him - so I could take it out in the driveway and beat the daylights out of it with a three pound sledge . It is a lot easier to do with a 10mm socket. You are not too awful far away, so if you can get it down here (by Kings Island) I would be happy to show you how to set your valve clearances. Only takes about an hour and a half - you will need a new valve cover gasket.

Tod - Master of XSology - I love it .
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Don't use the tool.

I will side with trbig, mainly because I used his tutorial on how to do a valve adjustment by loosening the Cams and it made perfect sense to a novice like me. If you are interested I am sure he or I could copy and paste it.

The main issue in my mind is that you MUST have it in time when you put it back together, and his method is the sure fire way to do that. Also I would suggest changing to a different CTT while you are doing the procedure.

I did all of this a few weeks ago, and held trbig's write up like the bible in my oily hands. He is after all the Professor of XSology...
                      1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

Tod - Master of XSology
                        LOL... I asked TC about that to see if he had anything to do with it, but apparently if you fluff your way to this many posts (Over 6k) as I have, it's an automatic thing. He said he could have it say whatever I wanted... it's just one of those VERY rare times I don't know what to say there.. lol. Master of fluff maybe?

I did all of this a few weeks ago, and held trbig's write up like the bible in my oily hands.
                        Hmmm.. I wrote a bible and don't even remember it. Must have been in either a spiritual trance.... or an alcohol induced haze? lol.

Tod
                        Last edited by trbig; 05-05-2010, 10:12 AM.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I will say you don't need any of these tools, and you don't need to loosen your cams. I watched and learned as Larry checked and adjusted mine with only a 1/4" tip screwdriver, and a couple of pieces of bondo spreading tools. Simple and easy. About an hour.
                          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                          A quick death and an easy one.
                          A pretty girl and an honest one.
                          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

The valve shim tool works fine, after you grind the piss out of it to make it fit correctly. YMMV
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Phil - where did you have to grind that little spawn of satan to get it to work? Got pics?
                              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X