Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic vs Sintered...

.. Brake pads that is.

Has anybody run sintered pads on their XS? I know the originals are organic, but the 'metallics' offer certain advantages and have become nearly standard on the newer vehicles. The main reasons I ask is I'm wondering about rotor compatability as not all rotor materials are equal, and the 4-piston calipers I'm swapping onto my bike used the sintered type as standard. I'd like to use the near-new pads that came with the calipers.

Any input?

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

I've used them with the XS calipers and rotors before and couldn't get them to stop squealing. YMMV
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The noise can usually be dealt with by using some 'anti-squeal' goo or 'shims' on the back of the pads; I'm more worried about the pads eating the rotors. If noise was the only issue you had, I'll at least give 'em a shot.

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

If your gonna use the XS rotors, no worry as they are the hardest stainless rotors I've ever seen. No new scoot out there even compares to their hardness. Another of Yamaha's overkill on the XS models! Over the years have used EVERY make of pad and even some not made anymore on the XS11....no issue, although some heat up and adhere better than others based on material used as you well know.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          If your gonna use the XS rotors, no worry as they are the hardest stainless rotors I've ever seen...
          I know they're hard (I polished mine, and it was a b***h), but they're not as hard as the HD rotors that the calipers are supposed to run on (also polished a set of those, and never did get as good a shine..). But if both you and Phil have had no issues with 'other' pads, I'll go for it.

Thanks!

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I've read to use the copper sintered pads and stay away from the iron sintered pads... I just bought a full set of copper sintered pads and Im waiting to get time to install them on the rear...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Makes no difference WMarshy, these rotors will digest anything there squeezed with. Just for comparison, I ONLY use OEM on my honda ST1100, as anything other WILL trash the rotors. Tells me the XS11 rotors were way over kill for hardness just like most everything else on the XS11. Pretty much why I chose the XS Venturer over other models back then, and looks like the dern thing is gonna outlast me....lol.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                If your gonna use the XS rotors, no worry as they are the hardest stainless rotors I've ever seen. - - -
                Hi Motoman,
                dunno about hardest, the centerpunch dents you whack in 'em to start drilling seem to be as deep as in other stainless steel parts I've worked.
                What they are is as tough as an old boot.
                That's why you gotta use cobalt steel drill bits to make holes in them and why they are eff nigh impossible to re-surface to a good finish.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I use these. http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/catalog/shape/SD-215.html Says their "Semi Metallic" and they have others that are described as "Sintered" and "Organic" so i'm not really sure what the difference is. New ones tend to squeel when first installed but it doesnt last long and Ive never seen any damage to the rotors. Seem to have plenty of Stop when required, even when low flying, and the price is reasonable so ive stuck with them.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I know that even with the anti squeal compound on them, the sintered pads drove me crazy with squealing. Got so bad that when I took them off, I threw them as far as I could down the street (well one of them anyways) the rest I threw down on the ground in disgust. The sintered pads on the rear however, have been pretty good, and I think I'll leave those on. But on the front I'll stick with the organics, especially since they seem to give better braking on the front (not such a big deal on the back, I can put more force on the pedal than is needed even with the sinter pads anyways).
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I'll tell you what I wish I could find in brakes for the XS though, is some good ceramic pads like you can get for cars. I've had pretty good luck with them on cars, I'm thinking they might be good for MC brakes too?
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ceramic? Do as you may but they are NOT compatible with the stainless compounds of these rotors. Rotor compounds are different on the new vehicles so hence the ceramic pads. Use ceramic on older disc brake systems on autos and you will do more than cuss or pich them. Ceramic pads were introduced due to composition of new vehicle rotors, but not all applications apply. Perform excellent were reccomended, not good if it be your own choice and not reccomended application.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                          I've read to use the copper sintered pads and stay away from the iron sintered pads... I just bought a full set of copper sintered pads and Im waiting to get time to install them on the rear...
                          That's what the pads I have are; I would be a bit more leery of the iron ones...

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

From the research I've found, the sintered ones are more specifically for racing applications, much faster speeds, much longer application times, much more heat build up, and that they(sintered) actually don't work as well under normal street use. They actually need to get heated up a bit before they grab as well, and so for that quick emergency stop, they may actually perform worse than organic or regular compounds. Now under heavy prolonged braking action....probably like what Tod/Trbig puts them thru in the twisties...then they may not fade like regular materials!?

Again, this was Internet searches regarding the differences between sintered and regular type pads on street bikes vs. racing machines, etc.! I do not have any real world experience with the difference. YMMV.

Would be nice to do a test with the regular type regarding breaking distances, etc., and then for those that get the sintered ones, repeat the tests to see if any perceptible stopping distances are obtained!? JAT!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ive got these fitted all round on mine
                              and couldnt be happier, they dont squeal
                              and pull the bike up real well even at speed.
                              no problems with the wearing of the rotors either.
                              they do have to be bedded in well tho.

pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots
                              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X