Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble starting when cold.

I have a 1981 xs1100sh. When first starting It, It runs rough
    I have to keep on the throttle for a little bit till it warms up a little or it dies. does anyone know why?

i always have to choke unless it's really warm out. it used to be much worse until i replaced the plugs.

Comment

Are you using the choke? If so you need the carbs cleaned most likely.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Re: Trouble starting when cold.

Try using the choke with no throttle until it "wakes up." Then use half choke and free the slides by chacking the throttle a few times.

Originally posted by skipper808
        I have a 1981 xs1100sh. When first starting It, It runs rough
        I have to keep on the throttle for a little bit till it warms up a little or it dies. does anyone know why?
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: Trouble starting when cold.

I meant "cracking the throttle." You know...goose it!

Originally posted by skids
          free the slides by chacking the throttle a few times.

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You know I think nowadays people have "fuel injection mentality" Carbs never ran as good when cold as injection does today. And actually these bikes require more thought than say auto carbs with automatic chokes. And when you really get down on it they don't even have "CHOKE" they have "enrichment"! And that's funny in itself cause that is more like injection. HMMM................I guess you gotta think CARB .......... be the carb, be the carb, be the carb...............
            Garry
            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
            X