Lowering kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering kit

Can anyone recomend a good but moderately priced lowering kit for a 1978 xs11e? I have short legs and the beast is a lil' high for me..
    Thanks guys..

joe,

there ARE no kits available... for lowering, for air shocks, for this or that. yer only option is to fab/scrounge/buy/steal something. as you might guess, with the high seat level of the XS1100, lowering the tail end has been done quite a bit. the solution i hear about most is putting on a shorter set of rear shocks.

stock shock is 12.5" from eye-eye. there are concerns about going TOO low, as it puts unwanted pressure on the U-joint. i *think* 11" is the absolute minimum. dont quote me on that, as i havent done the mod.

hopefully, someone will chime in with more knowledgeable knowledge.
    - dan
    - thinker57@lycos.com
    - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

At 5'8" and 140lbs, do what I do - Wear BIG BOOTS.
      or you could try reading this lowering an XS11
      hope one of the two suggestions help
      Bill Woods
      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Wasn't there a post about Rob Reil making some shock relocating brackets for the bottom end of the shocks?
        This might have been on the triples list though. I remember replying that I'd be interested in a set.
        I'm 5'8" also and I tip toe both feet or (usually) have one foot flat.
        I never feel unbalanced or unsure while stopped. I usually have my right foot up and tapping the rear brake (blinking my brakelight) as cages approach from behind while I'm stopped at a light. Fortunately the terrain is flat around here.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Joe.....the way I lowered my 79XS is a little different. I built a new saddle---pan & all. Rider's saddle is about 1 to 1 & 1/2 inches above the frame. I'm 6'3" tall & the ride is a whole lot more comfy than the factory saddle. So actually, I only lowered the saddle height....no worry about stress on the U-joint.
          I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

Lowering Tricks

I'm 5'3" to 5'4"; Sometimes 5'5" in my boots. My Midnight Special was too tall for me; Too hard to control at a stop on my tippie toes. Kept dropping her. So, I reduced the shocks as low as they'll go, but still too high. Then, I cut out oodles of stuffing from the seat. That gave me a lot more control and dropped the seat a couple inches for me. Need to cut down some uncomfortable metal in the pan, though. Pad with some towels. Earlier I was riding just no seat and a towel which was a perfect height.

Now, if only, I can drop the rear suspension another 1 to 2"....she'll be just perfect for me! Hard to find a lowering kit. Was thinking of fabricating one, but then saw the shorter shock options in here. Thanks.
            If the happiest 2 days in a boat owner's life are when he buys and sells his boat, what of the motorcycle rider?

Comment

Read 'n Heed

This is how I did it.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=the+lowering

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. This site is very helpful!
                If the happiest 2 days in a boat owner's life are when he buys and sells his boat, what of the motorcycle rider?

Comment

Working...
                X