Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    I found some yellow vinyl type hose made by Briggs and Stratton for lawn mower engines at my local hardware store. It has held up fine for over a year now.
    Yep, that's the stuff I'm runnin. Works pretty good so far, we will see how it continues to go over time. I even put it on my lawnmower right before some creep took off with it.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

when you do the "breadtie" sync, depending on how thick the bread tie is, you will need to asdjust the main idle screw out in order to return the rpm to a normal level. when it shot to 5k, it may have just been that the idle was set way too high from the bread tie. that said, fix the leaking carb first, no more fires please. have a nice day and ride safe
      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

the leak is still haunting me! cant figure it out.. does you guys think that placing the float in a bowl of water is a good way to test if it even floats? im startin to think that might be the problem. or maybe im measuring the hieght with the wrong tool. im using the mm side of a ruler... dude that sucks about your mower! i'd be bummed too
        Last edited by Riddle; 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM.
        79xs11 g
        k&n oval pods
        4-2 jardine spagetti headpipes w reverse short cone

Comment

Have you tried this to make sure all floats are balanced with eachother? JAT Might be time for some new float valves and seats...
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

You probably have the older metal/brass floats. They have been known to leak before. I think I have read to put them in hot or boiling water to check for air bubbles.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

i did the bench test and it held the gas back so i think they are seating properly. but i dunno
              79xs11 g
              k&n oval pods

Comment

Are the little fiber washers in place underneath your fuel valves? I've heard of them leaking from there before. Teflon tape on the threads of the fuel valve will fix that one. Just trying to think of things that can leak there . Don's idea about a leaky float sounded pretty plausible too.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

ya the washers are in place. its a fast leak. its pretty much streaming out of the air vent and then dribbles out the air jet and the hole above that...
                  79xs11 g
                  k&n oval pods

Comment

There's only a few things that will make them overflow -crud in between the needle and the seat, worn fuel valves, incorrect float adjustment, leaking float, sticking float, or a plugged vent. Those are the only things I can think of.

Line filters between the tank and carbs is pretty much mandatory on these things. If it's not a problem with chunks of fuel line going downstream, it's rust from the tank, or chips of paint or old tank linings - always something.

If you want to see something interesting, pull the vent line that goes to the carbs that aren't leaking, put your finger over the end of it, turn on the gas, wait 10 to 20 seconds and watch what happens. It's going to look a lot like what you describe. Keep a rag handy .

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

If you want to see something interesting, pull the vent line that goes to the carbs that aren't leaking, put your finger over the end of it, turn on the gas, wait 10 to 20 seconds and watch what happens. It's going to look a lot like what you describe. Keep a rag handy .[/QUOTE]

Haha I think I'll skip that one.
                      79xs11 g
                      k&n oval pods

Comment

Here's something for you to think about, as it relates to fuel valves. The 78/79 carbs use a metal tipped needle in a brass seat, so the fluid seal is metal to metal. It works fine as long as the needles don't get worn, which they do relatively quickly. The 80/81 carbs use a viton tipped needle in a brass seat. Instead of metal to metal, they have a rubber to metal seal which does a better job of shutting off the gas. They clip over the float tab, so not only will the floats close the valve, they'll open it too. They also last longer, and when they do fail you don't have to replace the needle and the seat - just the needle. I replace mine when I was having issues with overflowing carbs (hence my obsession with clogged vents ) with XV920 fuel valves, and their performance has been great. If you determine the fuel valves you've got need to go, it's something to think about.

And one final note - EVERY time I drain the bowls on my carbs, and let it sit without gas in them, I wind up with a stuck float or two when I first turn the gas on. A wrap with the back of a big screwdriver on the bowl and they come unstuck, and work great until I drain the bowls again. You also want to make sure your bowl gaskets aren't old and flattened out. I kept reusing mine, and applying a bit too much torque reattaching the bowls, so every time I would take the bowls off and reattach, the gaskets kept getting thinner and wider. They finally got wide enough to catch the sides of the floats, and that was an overflow party too.
                        Last edited by dbeardslee; 04-25-2010, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Riddle View Post
                          Is there anything else that would cause the carb to overflow besides float or needle seat..
                          I've heard of this when someone with early model carbs connects the fuel line to the upper "T"s between the carbs instead of the lower "T"s.
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey, if you keep having problems with it shoot me a PM, I'm about 4 1/2 hours away but I'd be willing to come take a look and see if I can help you.
                            1979 xs1100 Special -
                            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                            My Bike:
                            [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                            X