the choke????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the choke????

where should the rpm's be when the choke is all the way out??
    79xs11 g
    k&n oval pods
    4-2 jardine spagetti headpipes w reverse short cone

Not a choke and doesn't function like you would think a choke would do such as on your lawn mower. It is an enricher adding fuel to circuit to give more fuel to air coming in. After starting using it, that richer mixture will cause idle to rise in relationship to cyl. heating up. So what idle should be when pulled out is a mood point. As idle comes up, pop it in on first step, and repeat as idle rises again. Once motor warms to operating temp and picks up under load without stumbling, pop it in closed. How and when you choose that procedure varies with individuals, motors, and outside temps. Only thing I found that will make that circuit a "tattle-tale" for TOO low of float levels is idle will only slightly rise and not increase with warming of motor when full out. Just a tell-tale tip if float levels are too low and knowing for sure idle circuit and rest of carbs internals/circuits are for sure clean and operating correctly.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Between 1500 and 2000 rpm when it warms up the rpm's will rise to over 2000 rpm fast .
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Yep, it is an enricher that adds fuel instead of cutting off air.

For me, when I pull the choke all the way out on a cold engine, the engine will rev up to about 2k or so. If I leave it there to long it actually starts to drop rpm as it will foul plugs. As it rises above 2k I push it in one notch. At that point, I generally take off and ride with it out one notch. After about 1-2 miles I come to a stop sign and pull the clutch, the engine will rev high and that is when I push it all the way in. YMMV, just how I do it.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I pretty much follow DGXSER's procedure. On my bike, this time of year, I start it will full chock and then put my helmet and gloves on. By the time the gloves are on (less than 1 minutes) the bike is starting to run just a touch too rough due to excess fuel, so I push it to the first stop and head out. By the time I am half a mile down the road, I push it the rest of the way in and call it done. Usually, my idle will be a bit lower than normal for the first five miles or so down the road. After that, it's all good all the way.
          -- Clint
          1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Thanks to all. When i start my bike with the choke it revs to almost 5k.. Still can't figure it out? I dipped the carb parts and tried to sync with the bread tie method.. What else should I try?
            79xs11 g
            k&n oval pods

Comment

Synching with gages is always recommended.

Also, try using half choke only in this weather.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

hi riddle,
                that doesnt sound right, 5000rpm ways to fast for a cold engine
                to run with the enricher on,
                hows the bike run once it warms up?
                whats the bike idle at once its warm?
                Last edited by petejw; 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I just shut it off cause it sounded like it was guna blow up... I I pushed choke back in and and it came down a lil. Then adjusted the main throttle and got it down to 1.5 but then it would bog when I twisted the throttle, eventually would die.
                  79xs11 g
                  k&n oval pods

Comment

With choke out the rpm will still sky rocket...
                    79xs11 g
                    k&n oval pods

Comment

Clean and sync...?

When's the last time the carbs were cleaned and sync'ed? Are you running any mods to the airbox or exhaust? All these things will affect how it runs and since your new and we dont have any real information on the bike its hard to diagnose anything from your description.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

for starters let the bike warm up fully, 10 - 15 min
                        then set the idle to around 1100,
                        if the bike bogs down after you've done that,
                        then you have other issues,
                        as the others have stated youll probably need to
                        pull and clean the carbs.

what model bike is it, if its the early model
                        the mixture screws are known to break the tips off
                        and will cause idle and running problems.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I had this problem. For me, it was because the throttle cable was snagged up inside the housing on the handlebars. I sprayed in some cable lube from the other end of the cable, and held tension on the cable end with my hand while twisting the grip.

When your carbs are on the bike, take a look to make sure that the throttle lever is coming to rest on the idle screw. If you've got any space there, your throttle cable is the problem. It doesn't take much space at all to get the bike to rev high with no load.
                          '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

yeah, the throttle linkage on the carbs can also hang up on the screws for the clamps that hold the carbs in the engine side rubbers, don't ask how I know. Take a close look and make sure your throttle is closing all the way, if in doubt pull the throttle cable off the carbs and try it.
                            1979 xs1100 Special -
                            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                            My Bike:
                            [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by Riddle View Post
                              With choke out the rpm will still sky rocket...
                              That's supposed to happen. That tells you that your enricher circuit is working. I would wager that you just need to sync the carbs and adjust the idle mixture screws (colortune). Of course, a good triple-cleaning of the carbs should be done if that has not been done already.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X