78xs11 standard
    K&n oval pods
    no mufflers yet
    79xs11 g
    k&n oval pods
    4-2 jardine spagetti headpipes w reverse short cone

Comment

Ok, few more things to say...
      1. Take your pods off and make sure they don't cover any of the ports on the front of the carbs when they are installed, some have a lip that covers these ports up and cause problems.

2. It will be hard to tune without mufflers, if you plan to add mufflers then your best bet is to put them on before doing to much tuning on the carbs, because when you add them you'll have to re-tune the carbs.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
        2. It will be hard to tune without mufflers,
        Make that "Near impossible". I had a leak a the point where the headers attach to the muffler, and that leak alone was noticable. It caused it to really bog down when hitting the gas. The engine requires the back-pressure of the muffler to perform properly.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

The pods clear all the carb ports. What kinda mufflers do y'all suggest? I probly shouldn't even start it until I get the muffs. Right?
          79xs11 g
          k&n oval pods

Comment

Originally posted by Riddle View Post
            What kinda mufflers do y'all suggest?
            Stock ones. You can find a few others too, but they will take some engineering to make them fit. Some folks have used stock Harley mufflers. They are pretty cheap, since a lot of HD owners toss them as soon as they get their new bike, and trade them out for straight pipes.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I don't think starting it will hurt anything other then your ear drums but any effort you put into tuning will have to be done again. If you don't mind the work then don't worry about it but if you only want to do it once then get the mufflers first.

Do you have a 4 to 1 or 4 to 2? A few are using take-off harley mufflers, or order some slip ons from denis kirk or something. No matter what if your using stock head pipes you'll have a bit fabrication to do to get them to fit.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

where can i find stock mufflers? iv been lookin around oldbikebarn but dont know what to go with..
                79xs11 g
                k&n oval pods

Comment

Originally posted by Riddle View Post
                  where can i find stock mufflers? iv been lookin around oldbikebarn but dont know what to go with..
                  You cannot get them new. IIRC, there are only one, maybe two companies that make a 4-1 set that will fit the XS11. Ebay makes used sets available from time to time, and you can find people here parting out bikes in the "for sale" section.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X