Oldest serial number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sreial number

I'm in Texas, between Dallas and Ft.Worth. I found this thing just sitting outside this guy's garage, and it looked like a lost puppy. When I asked, he said he didn't want to sell, but after just talking about the bike for a few minutes, he asked how much I was willing to offer. It hadn't been registered since 86, or so the licence plate says. I bought it as an organ donor for my 80SG, and then I discovered some of the little differences between the models. Need any spare organs?

John
    80SG Twilite Special

Comment

Hey John,

That would be great.. I have seen somewhere a fix for that using a metal post.

What do u want for that piece of gold?

it beats taping the broken 79 special one over the battery..
      but it does complete the "rat look" with the duct tape
      jeff "Wags"
      Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
      79sf rusty
      79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

side covers

Wags,
        They come as a set, Kinda like this, that, and the other, You can't have this and that without the other. Anyway, how does $30 plus shipping sound? Do you want the rubber bushings that the covers slip over? They look to be in good shape.
        Why don't you e mail me at wknj@hotmail.com, and we'll talk more about this bike.
        John
        80SG Twilite Special

Comment

Hell... I wouldn't mind having the whole 78 to make twins in the garage but I am so broke.. im about to start literaly parting out SWMBO's 81 xs650...lol
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Looks like I've got the 4th oldest so far. 2H7-001224. Not to bad for buying it off of a guy for $150. I'm just glad it grew up in Oklahoma instead of here in Phoenix. It still has acutal rubber parts!
            Tony K.
            TonimusMaximus
            Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
            New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Hey guys, after reading all your posts I just HAD to post a reply. My 1980 Standard is "Special" to me because of her "born on" date of 6/79. That's the month/year of my 18th birthday AND my high school graduation! OOPS!!! I just told my age!! Oh well. They're all mighty fine bikes and mine's a keeper.
              Greg C.
              '80 XS1100-G "Christine"
              '84 GL1200-I
              '79 XL250-S

Comment

Hey youngster....

Greg,
                I am only a year ahead of you, Grad of 78. Also my birthday month.

Not the oldest or the youngest here by far. AND CERTAINLY NOT THE SMARTEST, the sages here have wisdom about these bikes only formerly given to solomon.

As a bumper sticker i saw said,

When u get over the hill, you pick up speed!
                (does that mean the grey is friction burn not age?)
                jeff "Wags"
                Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                79sf rusty
                79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

hi,not been on for a while,i did mention a while ago that i was waiting to pick up another xs1100e that was coming from italy,well i got her today,what a bute.the frame no is 2h9 000639.could this be one of the oldest,not got a build date yet,i will let you know when i get that.

Comment

Hi scoobes!
                    2H9 is the European issue, you guys need to have your own contest!
                    So far John over in Texas has the oldest reported North American 2H7, beats mine by 208 bikes. But his is not running, so I am not sure he qualifies for Sherry's contest.

Did Yamaha make the European 2H9 models before or after the 2H7 models?

Ahh, don't matter, they are all terrific bikes.
                    Marty in NW PA
                    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Oldest Ser #

Now wait just a gol durn minute there Marty! LOL The old Organ Donor does run! It seems like it runs better than my 80SG! I just went through the carbs and it runs like a scadled ass ape! It will never see the road again, well, at least not all on one piece, but the engine will live on! I want to put it in my Twilite Special. It has given it's life so that other,s may ride. Long live the Organ Donor! Does that still count as the oldest bike Sherry?

Comment

just had a quick check and the 2h7 and 2h9 were made at the same time,they just went to different places.

Comment

hee hee just pulling your peg, John.....

If they were made at the same time are there duplicate numbers, or did they make them sequentially? I guess the actual manufacturing date could tell. John and mine say 9/77. Mine is 2H7-00898. Is there a 2H9-00898? Or was it
                          2H7-00898
                          2H9-00899
                          2H7-00900
                          2H7-00901
                          2H9-00902
                          etc.?
                          Marty in NW PA
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

hey if that is the case then there should be a 2h7000639 out there in the us of a then.

Comment

scoobes, do you have the manufacture date? Should be on the forks, on the label.
                              Marty in NW PA
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

there is no label on the forks or the headstock so i will check with yamaha to see if they can tell me.

Comment

Working...
                                X