Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brakes... thought I knew what I was doing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the lines I've got are good, but they aren't stainless. I'm planning on replacing the brake lines in my second string of reparis/mods (after I have the bike running). Once I'm ready to replace them, I'll for sure be going with stainless. I've heard nothing but good things.
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
      We are supposed to use DOT3 fluid which is alcohol based and the crap actually develops from moisture that the brake fluid attracts. Over time it deteriorates every surface inside of the system and appears as crud and off colored fluid.

If you want to avoid alot of brake failure and cruddy fluid, change the fluid once a year. It will flush out alot of the contaminants that develop over time. Its easy to do and takes only about ten minutes with a hand held vacuum pump and a fluid catcher cup. I change mine every 'Spring' tuneup and never have brake problems.
      This is great advice. Doing a brake fluid flush on a car is extremely easy, doing one on this bike is very simple and important. I dump all fluids on all of my vehicles every two years maximum. Tranny regardless if manual or auto, differentials, brakes, coolant, blinker(j/k). The thing to remember is the less fluid a system utilizes the more often it should be changed. Keeping this in mind I'll be doing all fluids on my XS a minimum of once a year. It's better to do it more than needed than after it's broken! Another thing to consider, if replacing lines, is swapping to a synthetic brake fluid or DOT 5. If anyone here has done this I'd personally like to hear about the results!
      1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

The PO ran DOT5 in the front brakes on my 79SF. No performance issues noted, doesn't remove paint off the calipers, appears to hold up better than DOT3 and finally, has a smoother taste than DOT3. Downside, costs about twice as much.

I am also refurbishing an 80G and will run DOT5.

Darrell
        Darrell
        78E
        80G project
        06FJR

Comment

Don't mix your drinks.

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
          The PO ran DOT5 in the front brakes on my 79SF. No performance issues noted, doesn't remove paint off the calipers, appears to hold up better than DOT3 and finally, has a smoother taste than DOT3. Downside, costs about twice as much.
          I am also refurbishing an 80G and will run DOT5.
          Darrell
          Hi Darrell,
          never mind how it tastes, don't drink either of them.
          As I understand it, DOT3 & 4 absorb water over time which deteriorates the fluid's performance while DOT5 don't absorb water so the water that gets in there hangs about in beads which also deteriorates the fluid's performance.
          Changing either fluid every second year will fix the water problem. Not spilling DOT3 will fix the paint stripping.
          The main problem is, the two don't mix.
          Swapping from either to other involves a complete system teardown & cleanup between fluids.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...rakefluid.html

Should have all the info you need.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

DGXER.... i think i bought the same lines you did...from Coastguard, right?? From the research i have done here and other forums, it seems the setup doesnt work the best on our bikes......in the stock forms that is...

The front banjo fittings dont mate up to the stock m/c (on the end)..my aftermarket m/c has the bolt out the front and works A-O-K. the rear on the other hand is a different story...a lot of tension on the line to make it hook up, and it rides VERY close to the shock, or tire, depending on the 'flex' of the line when you attach it. nothing that a few well placed retainer rings wont fix, but not just a simple swap.....

other than that, the new m/c and stainless lines have MASSIVE AMOUNTS of stopping power!!!! my rears are still a little squishy right now, but i may have a bit of air still in them.......
              '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
              Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
              4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
              Windjammer(wiring issues)
              SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
              New paint/brakes to come!!
              ===============
              '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
              ===============
              '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
              Stock Pilots/125 mains
              Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
              SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
              LED Brake Lite
              Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Tom,

That was my concern with the lines, both my MC lines needed alot of tension to connect and reattach. The rear line I left in place for a few days and it rubbed the paint off the swing arm in a couple places.

My biggest issue with the seller is that he told me form the beginning he would owkr with me to make it right, then did not. And infact, I sent the two lines back to him and got nothing in return except abunch of horse crap. So I paid $80 for the two front lines from the splitter to the front calipers now. He will not return any email or ebay messages from me. So I wrote it off as a learning experience.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Don..

That sucks.....im glad i didnt have those issues with the man. I hate it when things work out that way.
                  '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                  Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                  4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                  Windjammer(wiring issues)
                  SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                  New paint/brakes to come!!
                  ===============
                  '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                  ===============
                  '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                  Stock Pilots/125 mains
                  Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                  SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                  LED Brake Lite
                  Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

SS Brake Lines

I have a 1979 F model that I bought a few years ago. Cosmetically it is very nice and I think that it had done a lot of "garage sitting" in the past.

I also upgraded to ss lines this Spring and I likewise got them from coastguard on ebay. I specifically asked if they were a "direct replacement" and they said they were. Replacing the front ones wasn't too difficult, but the rear line was another story. The original line was two piece and the new line single. I also found it to be a tight fit and I had to do some modification to the attachment points. Although I got them to work in the end, I don't consider them a "direct replacement".

At that time I rebuilt both master cylinders. Prior to that time I had a reoccurring problem with front brakes locking up, because the "spooge" hole was plugged. I was shocked at the amount of "crap" that came out of it when I tore it apart. Made me wonder it had the original seals.

I have ridden the bike about 200 miles and the brakes seem to be working flawlessly. Braking is much more possitive. Now, I have to work on the poor acceleration that the bike experiences between 2000 and 3000 rpm.
                    1979 F
                    Mac 4-2 Exhaust
                    T-Kat Fork Brace
                    Spade Fuse Box Mod
                    Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    140.0 Main Jets
                    45.0 Pilot Jets
                    266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Working...
                    X