Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brakes... thought I knew what I was doing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes... thought I knew what I was doing...

I'm performing a resurrection on an '80 Special, and I thought that while I was waiting for my parts to come in, I'd bleed the brakes and exercise the pistons to see if I need to order some rebuild kits. As I was doing the front brakes, I noticed some fluid dripping out of the actuating hole on the master cylinder. I figured "well I guess I need a new front MC". Then, once I closed everything up, there was no more leaking, and the MC seemed to hold pressure fine.

My crime is that I didn't read the tech tips before bleeding the brakes (thought I knew how). I see that I must have overextended the MC, and popped a seal. My question is... can this seal re-seat itself? It seems to be working fine once I got everthing back together. Is this an illusion, and my MC is waiting to spew fluid when I really need it, or was it only dripping momentarily while I had pushed past the seal?

In any case, given the amount of brown goo and chunks that came out of the system while I was bleeding it, I suppose I should take things apart to clean everthing out. I am mechanically inclined, but I've never taken apart a caliper or MC before, so I try to keep putting that off for fear that I'll wreck something. I'd much rather ride for the summer, and take this on next winter. That way, I'll have lots of time to locate my special calipers if I need to.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

the amount of brown goo and chunks
    Brakes and tires are about the two single most important elements on a bike to keep you from "crash and burn".

I don't think the MC is a concern, if it is I hope some one will correct me.
    BUT I would remove and clean out the calipers and MC.
    Inspect if not replace the brake lines and flush them out while you have the MC and calipers apart.

Don’t skimp here, the life you save maybe your own…

mro

Comment

I agree, don't skimp on the brakes, if your reasonably mechanically inclined you shouldn't have any problems.

The calipers are super super simple, just a piston and a round rubber seal.

The master cylinder is a bit more complex but if you pay attention, take some pictures and most of all, ask questions here you shouldn't have any problems at all.

The worst part of the whole thing is bleeding the system.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Another county heard from.....

If these bikes have one major short coming it is their brakes. They are IMO overpowered and under braked. So, I would strongly suggest you not ride that bike till you go through both front and rear braking systems and get them cleaned out and operating well.

I have had alot of car brakes apart, cleaned and reassembled including an MC or two. The systems on these bikes are VERY simple as stated.

For the calipers, if you have good pressure at the MC, then pull the caliper off the bike with the brake line still attached, then use the MC to push the piston out of the caliper. With that much goo in there, keep your hands away while you do this as the piston may POP out and could hurt you. Then remove the brake line and I use a piece of rubber and a clamp to keep it from draining all the brake fluid from the system.

Clean that one caliper good, (on the front system) then reinstall it (I reuse the seals with no problems as long as they are not torn or rough) and repeat the process on the other side. Then after both calipers are clean, remove the MC and clean it. and flush all the lines as well.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks, guys. you've got me convinced. I'm waiting for parts anyways... may as well see what damage I can do in the meantime

Comment

Brown chunks and goo?

Hi Big Red,
            brake fluid should look like new Crisco cooking oil.
            As yours looks like the stuff in a hobo's old frypan, tear the whole brake system down and clean it like your life depended on it, because it does.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

One thing nto mentioned before in my description. When you have the piston out of the caliper, be sure to pull the rubber ring out, that is your seal it is a square shape in a circle. Behind that rubber is where all the crap collects that must be comepletely cleaned out. That is how the brakes work. They push that seal forword and it has to spring back into place to releive the pressure on the rotors. If it is dirty back there, it will not fully seat and properly release the pressure.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Well, I took the calipers apart last night. Where the heck does all that crap come from? Anyways, they're cleaned out, and slide nice and smooth. I also took the MC off, cleaned the spooge hole, and blew out the cylinder with compressed air, but I didn't take it apart for fear that I'd lose something. It seemed to be moving freely and properly, so I think I'll put it all back together and see how it goes. I'll be working on the rear brake tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  Where the heck does all that crap come from?
                  We are supposed to use DOT3 fluid which is alcohol based and the crap actually develops from moisture that the brake fluid attracts. Over time it deteriorates every surface inside of the system and appears as crud and off colored fluid.

If you want to avoid alot of brake failure and cruddy fluid, change the fluid once a year. It will flush out alot of the contaminants that develop over time. Its easy to do and takes only about ten minutes with a hand held vacuum pump and a fluid catcher cup. I change mine every 'Spring' tuneup and never have brake problems.
                  Mike Giroir
                  79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Where the heck does all that crap come from?
                    As stated, it comes from the inside of the brake lines, as well as misture attracted to the brake system by the fluid.

In addition to the other comments posted, if you can afford it, change brake lines. If you are running OEM lines, they are now 20+ years old and will have lost something over the years. Best replacements are SS lines. These will take care of the internal deterioration problem and improve the feel of the braking system. Do both front and rear calipers.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Stainless Steel lines

I replaced my XJ lines with stainless steel, using lines from Hel USA and they weorked well, definetly more firm brake pedal and lever.

The xj has the linked front left and rear brake system, with a propertioning valve to distribute the brakeing front to back, I was able to use one line from the back master cylinder (propertioning valve) to the front left caliper even though the original brake lines had two or three small lines joining together under and in front of the gas tank. I just measure the routing and called Hel Usa, and gave them my dementions for front and back lines, and the angle for the banjo fittings. I am very satified.

Also If your pistons are pitted up badly you can get new pistons online from hvccyle.com each piston was about 25.00, again very satified with this purchase as well,

The first time I cleaned by brake capipers I just hit them (pistons) with a wire wheel, then this year, about 6 years later, after both front and rear calpers were stuck on the rotors, I tried to clean again, and this time I have to grind to get all the rust and pits out, and I feared removed too much for the pistons not to leak, even with new o-rings/seals.

As stated earlier brakes on these big heavy bikes could be better so any upgrade and precaution you can do to them is a plus.

Keep the shiney side up, and good luck with the brake fix.
                      Last edited by xj11john; 04-17-2010, 08:15 PM. Reason: edit
                      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Great info!! Just as an FYI, how much did the lines cost?

I spent the $70 to buy the lines offered on E-Bay and basically I got screwed. So I'm interested in how much a set of line should cost to be sure you get the right pieces. Sometimes money saved is money wasted.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

If you do the stainless brake lines it will pretty much feel like a new system. Well worth it.
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
                            If you want to avoid alot of brake failure and cruddy fluid, change the fluid once a year. It will flush out alot of the contaminants that develop over time. Its easy to do and takes only about ten minutes with a hand held vacuum pump and a fluid catcher cup. I change mine every 'Spring' tuneup and never have brake problems.
                            Always use new fluid from a sealed container....
                            Kurt
                            Treasure Coast, Florida

I have a parking problem everywhere I go....

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
                            1987 944 n/a
                            1979 Titan
                            1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
                            1984 Suzuki SP 250
                            1987 Santana 23
                            1944 Aeronca L-3B Grasshopper

If it fly's, float's or fornicates..... your better off having a lease!

Comment

SS lines

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                              Great info!! Just as an FYI, how much did the lines cost?

I spent the $70 to buy the lines offered on E-Bay and basically I got screwed. So I'm interested in how much a set of line should cost to be sure you get the right pieces. Sometimes money saved is money wasted.
                              IIRC about $150.00 but well worth it for good blakes.

Ride safe!
                              '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
                              X