No announcement yet.

home made sync gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, what could be worse than all he butterflies closing at the exact same time?
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
      Yeah, what could be worse than all he butterflies closing at the exact same time?
      All of them opening ALL THE WAY at the same time?

Especially if they did that without your consent.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Mine are like that more than not. I only have two speeds.

1) Catch me if you can
        2) OH ****!

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
          Mine are like that more than not. I only have two speeds.

1) Catch me if you can
          2) OH ****!
          You can ask psycoreefer, I'm not that fast a rider. I will however blow past cages in my way if given the opportunity though.
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Be aware that despite the picture that is a 2 carb set, as in you will get 2 vacuum gages and the rest of the stuff for 2 gages only.

Here is the link to the 4 gage/4 carb setup.
            Try these ones, they are $70. Not sure the difference between the ones you posted and these but they are $10 cheaper....
            http://www.amazon.com/EMGO-VACCM-SYN...0856908&sr=1-1
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
              Try these ones, they are $70. Not sure the difference between the ones you posted and these but they are $10 cheaper....
              http://www.amazon.com/EMGO-VACCM-SYN...0856908&sr=1-1
              I got the same set in a 4 gauge set off ebay for like $50 or so. The 2 gauge set was like $35, so check, I think the one shown on ebay was for 4 cylinders.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by freak_leg View Post
                After a little hunting this is the best deal I've found...
                http://www.amazon.com/EMGO-VACCM-SYN...0819970&sr=8-2

I think I might just go this way, a time comes when its worth the extra $20 so save the head ache... And this way SWMBO wont look at me like a mad scientist when i'm in the garage with a huge length of tube and a bottle of trans oil...
                Here is a better set for close to the same price in a 4 carb type. Very much like the set I got only with more adapters, which I slightly wish I had, but they work pretty good anyways.
                Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Spade Fuse Box
                750 FD Mod
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

As to bench synching versus on bike in actual engine running, "dynamic" synching, the difference is actually in the engine itself.

If you have good equal length exhaust and all four cylinders have very close to the same compression, then the bench synch will be VERY close to the running or "dynamic" synch.

A bench synch very simply sets all four butterfly valves to be open the exact same amount. You then put the carbs on the bike with all the butterfly valves still equally open and start the engine then you adjust how far all four are open the same by adjusting your idle setting with the screw for that purpose on the carb set. (note, this is not the synch screws or the idle mixture screws.) Now all four are equally open an amount that lets your engine run at the RPM you like best for idle.

Now, you hook up the synch gages and find that all four are dang close, which I did find on Thunderstruck, or you realize they are way off like they were on Banshee since that engine's compression is all over the map.

The on bike, "dynamic" synch, is simply setting all four butterfly valves so that all four cylinders, at idle, create the same amount of vacuum. This basically means that all four cylinders are running the same. Again, depending on engine condition, this could be very similar to the bench synch settings, or way off from it. So a bench synch is NOT the same as a running or "dynamic" synch necessarily.

To say they are the same and there is no need for the "dynamic" synch is the same as saying to just set your idle mixture screws to the 2 turns out from seated, or whatever starting setting you like to use, and leave them there. There is no need to adjust them ever again. They will all be close enough, there is no need for doing any more adjustments. IMO, that is the same mentality and thought process. And equally wrong.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

So, by that line of thinking, all multi cylinder engines should have one carb per cylinder and should be synched, especially when operated in a crosswind or when ever the pressure differential on any one cylinder changes for any reason at all.

Dynamic sync is just icing on the cake. If your compression is all over the map, something other than syncing the carb sync needs attended to.

Comment

Ivan, I completely agree that my Banshee engine needs help. The hope is that with 500 miles or so on it, the compression will come back since the thing sat in a barn untouched for two or more years before I got it.

If the mfg used other means to compensate like single point fuel injection or a single carb, well you can only tune as close as the equipment allows you to. Kind of like you can't tune the single carb to give the best mixture to each individual cylinder, you just tune it so the engine revs the best and idles the smoothest (old school method anyway, never had an A/F meter). Yet, it seems everyone sees tuning each carbs mixture for that cylinder as an important step on these bikes. Hmmm...wonder why?

All I was explaining is the intention of the design to perform a "dynamic" synch is completely different than the effect of a bench synch. It was intentionally designed in with a given purpose. And yes, I will say that even on Thunderstruck I noticed a difference in the idle and how well it ran after I performed the running synch. On Banshee, it was incredible, the bikes idle jumped from 1200 up to 4-5k as I synched the carbs up, simply turning the idle screw backdown to 1200 and it stays there before and after revving it up to 6k right back to 1200. It also smoothed out the idle greatly and eliminating some backfiring I was having.

Your bike is yours. If it runs well for you and your happy with the performance ride safe and enjoy. I do not care who does or does not synch there carbs bench or otherwise. I do not care who does or does not tune the mixtures. If it runs well as is, ride it.

I just do not like misinformation being given out where someone who is trying to learn about these machines might read it. So I made an attempt to provide the technically correct information.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                      X