'80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
    ===============
    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
    Stock Pilots/125 mains
    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
    LED Brake Lite
    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

One gauge works fine

The last thing you do is open up each valve in the gang valve one by one, and make sure all 4 vac levels are within tolerance.

I use a needle valve in the line in front of the guage to supress the bounce in the needle. You start with the valve closed and then slowly crack it open until needle starts to bounce, and leave it there. The whole assy shown in the pic is pretty easy to put together, is easy to store and can be hung off the bars.

The ATF system seems a bit bulky to me.

Scott
      I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

I use a combination of the simple and the slightly more complicated. I get an initial sych from carbs 1+2 and then 3+4, and then balance the pairs with a sych from 1 to 4. I do this with the single tube ATF manometer, which is nothing more than about 24 feet of pvc tubing with a couple of rubber taps on each end to attach to the sync ports. Its long, a bit unweildy, but its super accurate. The individual pulses from the engine cancel one another out and there is very little jumpiness when reading the level. Only if the sych is WAY out do I have to keep an eye on the ATF level in the tubes, which is the benefit of the 24' super-long setup. If I am feeling particularly picky, I can then hook up the four tube manometer, knowing that the sych is now so close that I am unlikely to pull fluid into the cylinders when I do a final adjustment.
        The four tube manometer was way too sensitive to changes in sych to be used for initial setup. I made the 4-tube when I first started working on the bike and played around with restrictors for ages. I could never get it right and was always concerned that slight changes in the restrictors that I had put in the tubes was causing inaccuracies. I stopped using it for the initial sych and used the "big loop" to make things simpler at the start. There are no restrictors in the 4-tube either. I hardly ever hook up the 4-tube anymore. Big Single Loop does the job..

http://picasaweb.google.com/agfitz/S...eat=directlink

Comment

Dang I need to get off my arse and make one of these ideas up. The 11 is still chillin in the shed and the 650s both need a sync to keep puttering along. Thanks for the link and pics gareth.
          BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
          80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

I have found that it is hard to beat a good set of vacum guages hung on a bungee cord between the handlebars.
            POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
            THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
            1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

I like the concept of the design. The cross tube allows for oil or water instead of Hg. If you didn't have that, the tubes would have to be tall.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well, a few of you guys keep talkin about vac gages so...lets see one. Where can ya get one and how much are they?
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

You can buy a vacuum gage at harbor freight, or four of them if you go that route.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Bingo!!! Give the man a prize.

Originally posted by skids View Post
                    I like the concept of the design. The cross tube allows for oil or water instead of Hg. If you didn't have that, the tubes would have to be tall.
                    That's the theory, and it works to some extent. There is a small restrictor in there that I added for dampening. There's just a slight amount of bounce to the fluid in the tubes.

Larry
                    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                    82 XJ1100
                    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                    64 Yamaha YA-6
                    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

After a little hunting this is the best deal I've found...
                      http://www.amazon.com/EMGO-VACCM-SYN...0819970&sr=8-2

I think I might just go this way, a time comes when its worth the extra $20 so save the head ache... And this way SWMBO wont look at me like a mad scientist when i'm in the garage with a huge length of tube and a bottle of trans oil...
                      Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                        Come on now Ivan, you can't just take what I said and boil it down to something so simple. It takes all the mystery and wonder out of the whole sync experience. I mean it's just not scary when you don't use words like "hydro-lock" and "IMPORTANT", or phrases like "KILL THE MOTOR" and "shooting up the tube."
                        I didn't use those phrases because they weren't necessary. I have no clue how someone could hydraulically lock a 1 liter engine on two tablespoons of liquid. There's no way that much would kill the engine, but it would smoke for a bit. It doesn't shoot up the tube nearly as fast as some make it out to be, and if it does, no big deal. Normally you can get an idea of what needs adjusted before the engine even starts.

Or, you could just use a small drill bit or piece of straight wire to ste them statically and leave well enough alone. I ran mine that way for several months before I built my sync gauge. Then I had to turn the sync screws all of 1/16 of a turn. Like I said, almost too sensitive.
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by freak_leg View Post

I think I might just go this way, a time comes when its worth the extra $20 so save the head ache... And this way SWMBO wont look at me like a mad scientist when i'm in the garage with a huge length of tube and a bottle of trans oil...
                          Be aware that despite the picture that is a 2 carb set, as in you will get 2 vacuum gages and the rest of the stuff for 2 gages only.

Here is the link to the 4 gage/4 carb setup.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by freak_leg View Post

That's the set I have, and they work pretty well. Gave me a good sync and things run pretty smooth. I'd like someday to get something a little better, but those tend to be pretty spendy, especially considering that these do a good job.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                              I didn't use those phrases because they weren't necessary. I have no clue how someone could hydraulically lock a 1 liter engine on two tablespoons of liquid. There's no way that much would kill the engine, but it would smoke for a bit. It doesn't shoot up the tube nearly as fast as some make it out to be, and if it does, no big deal. Normally you can get an idea of what needs adjusted before the engine even starts.

Or, you could just use a small drill bit or piece of straight wire to ste them statically and leave well enough alone. I ran mine that way for several months before I built my sync gauge. Then I had to turn the sync screws all of 1/16 of a turn. Like I said, almost too sensitive.
                              I completely agree. It seems to me the bench sync is under emphasized and the dynamic over emphasized. After I do a bench sync on a set of carbs, they idle smooth down to 600 RPM or less.
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                                I completely agree. It seems to me the bench sync is under emphasized and the dynamic over emphasized. After I do a bench sync on a set of carbs, they idle smooth down to 600 RPM or less.
                                My figuring is that the sync on the bike is to account for any movement caused by installing. Otherwise why would we ever need to resync them? I agree that the bench sync is probably about 99% correct as long as the rack doesn't have any give to it when installing, but the dynamic sync will account for that, and I'm guessing that things shift a little over time as well, so syncing every so often is a good idea anyways.
                                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                                Vetter Windjammer IV
                                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                                OEM Luggage Rack
                                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                                Spade Fuse Box
                                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                                750 FD Mod
                                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                                X