immediate help please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• immediate help please!!

Stuck in parking lot. Felt air popping on to my left knee, turned bike off, went into the store. When I came back out it won't run. Will start for a few seconds and then die. Put on exhaust this morning but two of the 8 nuts where stripped so I left those off. How screwed an I?
    1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Um, hard to say.

Pull your plugs, if they are really black then a new set of plugs might get you running and home. I find that if it ran, and then doesn't but tries to a lot of times it's caused by fouled plugs.

Air on your left knee? hmmm? I'd guess back fires through the carbs, or maybe a blown head gasket.

Do you have pods or the stock air box?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I was logged out. Stock air box and apparently I have oil coming out of it?!?

Comment

Your vacuum cap probably blew off one of the carb boots.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

So what do I do about vaccum boots and how do I get home? Is that a ridable problem or no?

Comment

I agree with Phil given the air on your leg. Cleaning the plugs - also a good idea. This seems like a good time to mention this - never tow an XS. Trailer only. When the motor isn't running the transmission isn't getting any lubrication, and towing one can tear up your tranny. Just thought I would mention it.

Put the boot back on, clean your plugs, and start it and see if you can get it home. If you lost the plug you can get one at an autoparts store, or use a 2" piece of fuel line with a screw in the end to seal it. If you look at the carb hangers (black rubber) you will probably see a little brass nipple with no plug on it. If it keeps blowing the boot off you probably want to check the sync first. Keeps doing it with the carbs properly synced your valves might want some attention.
            Last edited by dbeardslee; 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

So basiclly I am stuck here? If it starts can I ride it home you think?

Comment

Yes, if it starts and isn't making bad noises see if you can ride it home. I added some other stuff to my original post, so rather than retyping it look there for some additional details.

Where in Indiana are you?

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

If the cap is missing, put some tape over the vac. port. That should get you to a parts store or home.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

The vacuum plug caps is a good idea, look at the nipples that come off the boots between the carbs and the engine, there should be something covering each one so it can't suck air from out side, if you find one that is open, find something to plug it with.

Oil in your air box is not good, take the wing nuts loose and see if its really oily in there - if your air filter is "soaked" with oil it could be not letting enough air through to run the motor. You could try starting it with the air filter removed.

If it starts only you can make that call, how far is "home"?
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Oil in the air box may just be extra oil from an oiled air filter, if you recently replaced it, or it's been a while since you looked at it.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

U guys are all amazing! I found it. It was the one with the tube and the tube had come loose. Home is close. Less than five miles. And now the battery is dead from all the trying. So a quick jump and I should be on my way! Thanks again. Ui guys rock!!

Comment

That little tube goes to the octopus and shuts off the fuel supply when it's disconnected. Mine will run about 1/2 mile on what's in the bowls. Anyway, that would sure explain why it wouldn't start . Glad you found the problem.

Where in Indiana are you?

Comment

thanks again everybody!! got it fixed, and it is running....kinda. i am a little concerned about the oil in the air box, but i'll work that out. dbeardslee, i actually live just a few miles north of indianapolis, where are you? if you check bike down on the other forum, you'll hear the rest of this story....

Comment

Hey 1st, now that you got it home. Run a compression check on all four. I second the thought you might have a valve issue. Especially with the oil in the air box issue.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X