Ready to buy 78 XS1100...please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gringojason View Post
    It's about a 2 hour drive to see it...but I could do it. I am looking at the details of the body style and it definitely changed from 78 to 81. The 78 has a much straighter line to it and looks beefier. The 81 has more of a curve to the body and looks slightly more "chopper-ish".

It is subtle, but I like the look of the 78 style better.
    The 78 is called a standard and the other is called a special, some differences but not many. The special only has a 3.9 gal tank so depending on how far you travel it may be a concern. The handle bars are different also but can be changed.
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Ok guys...I just found this one on eBay near me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...item3a58f3b1ba

It's an 81 and looks REALLY clean. Maybe pick it up for $1000.

Is there a good year or bad year? 78 or 81 better or worse? Thoughts on which of these 2 bikes are a better value? Thanks...

Jason.
      Hi Jason,
      the '78 you first asked about is a Standard while this one is a Special. There are photos on this site which show the differences and either can be mostly turned into the other (or you can build your own personalized hybrid) by swapping parts around.
      The better value one is whichever has the least mileage and is in the better condition. IMHO, within a few hundred dollars of FMV the purchase price is not something to fret about. It's like the ante in a poker game, it just gets you started.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The San Diego bike is a "Special" 79-81. The 78 you were looking at was a "Standard". Two different styles that were available. The only XS1100 built in 78 was the Standard. It was according to those who know as the fastest/quickest of the XS's.
        It looked like the SD bike was cared for a bit better...But....?

It is a matter of taste. The Standard has a larger fuel tank so that is the tank that is going on my 79 Special.

Ride what you like.

Damn Fred. I have to learn how to type faster...
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

You guys are revving my engine!! Reading your responses and looking over the site is getting me all excited. I looked at a '77 Goldwing (pristine original condition, 9k original miles) last night for $1500 and considered it...but something is really drawing me to the XS. And part of that is the passion and energy I get from you guys and from the articles I am reading. It seems like this is this a special and unique bike.

Even though the '81 on eBay is better taken care of, there is something about the '78 that I really like. Can any of you confirm what latexeses said that the '78 is the fastest of the XS series? Also, since it has an aftermarket tach...I don't know the real mileage. Should that be a concern?

I am so close to pulling the trigger...probably today...just getting the last second jitters do be sure I don't get buyer's remorse. On the flip side...I am REALLY excited to ride it and start making it my own. Thanks again for all your help. Any members out there in the Southern CA, Orange County area?
          '82 XJ1100

Jason

Comment

Everything else being the same, the '78 is just a bit quicker. But the difference isn't huge.

That being said, the '78 is what I have..and love. The specials are nice, but the standard just has that something about it.
            Mike C
            Lake Orion, Michigan
            '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

- - - Even though the '81 on eBay is better taken care of, there is something about the '78 that I really like. Can any of you confirm what latexeses said that the '78 is the fastest of the XS series? Also, since it has an aftermarket tach...I don't know the real mileage. Should that be a concern? - - -
              Hi Jason,
              note that the '81 Special has an aftermarket exhaust and is missing it's distinctive cast aluminum grabrail. Doubtless Andreas has one so it's not a real problem but it makes a person wonder what's holding the tail light on because that's what it's supposed to be attached to.
              However, do not sweat the "fastest XS11" thing. The slowest model XS11, even if running on dirty plugs, bad gas and maladjusted carbs can still go way too fast for the average rider.
              BTW, the odometer is in the speedo, not the tach. And on a ~30 year old machine there's no guarantee that it's the original speedo anyway.
              Last edited by fredintoon; 03-26-2010, 10:47 AM.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I snoozed...and lost. I told the seller I would give him a confirmation today and he just emailed me to tell me he is selling it to his brother. Oh well...I guess it wasn't meant to be.

But now I am hooked...and I gotta get an XS...lol. Keep your eyes open for me. I need something in the next week or so. Maybe I will call the guy in San Diego with the '81. If I can get it for $1000, that seems like a solid deal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...item3a58f3b1ba
                '82 XJ1100

Jason

Comment

Hey Gringo: That bike looks awesome - I'd grab it. I still can't believe the condition of the bikes in CA. & the prices are excellent. You don't want to know what I paid for mine & it was a rust bucket.- Dan
                  '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                  1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                  Rebuilt head, valves
                  TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                  Tkat Fork Brace
                  T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                  Dyna Coils & wires
                  Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                  ISO grips with stelleto ends
                  4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                  Bridgestone Spitfires
                  Tuned by Tinman905
                  & a will to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by ManitoulinLad View Post
                    Hey Gringo: That bike looks awesome - I'd grab it. I still can't believe the condition of the bikes in CA. & the prices are excellent. You don't want to know what I paid for mine & it was a rust bucket.- Dan
                    The bikes in SoCal live much more pampered lives. No snow/salt, and they can run all year 'round! They don't get stuffed in a garage over winter and forsaken for a snowmobile like they do up North!

Gringo - Any XS, in running condition, will make you grin, and cause your spine to tingle. They are incredible machines, and easy to maintain/repair. If you like the look of the Standard, keep looking and you'll find one soon. If you don't really care, get the Special and you'll be hooked!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X